Finding an experienced DS surgeon

celticfaery
on 2/18/12 9:47 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
I didn't realize how tough this would be!!  There are no surgeons who do the DS locally and it looks like I would end up needing to travel.  I found one surgeon about 3 hours away, William Richards in Mobile, Alabama.  But according to his stats on OH, he's done 1 DS.  I also found Garth and Robert Davis in Houston, Tx...  But their stats say they've done 5 DS's a piece.  Now I know this information is probably not 100% accurate, but compared to the number of RNY's they've done, this info is daunting...

I had the VSG in 2007.  I did REALLY well at first and then I quit losing and started regaining.  I definitely claim responsibility for my poor choices, but I am taking the necessary steps to move in the right direction this time.  I regained about 100 pounds after losing 189 with the sleeve.  My highest weight was 425.   Lowest was 236 (stayed there for about 2 seconds).  This morning I was hovering around 340.  grrr... 

I feel like I'm starting all over again.

How many DSers had to travel to find a good surgeon?  Have yall heard anything about William Richards or the Davis's doing the DS??? 

Thanks for any info you can provide!
MajorMom
on 2/18/12 9:52 am - VA
You might check out a few more surgeons in TX, GA and TN. There's a good list of vetted DS surgeons on www.dsfacts.com .

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nightowl
on 2/18/12 4:27 pm - Topeka, KS
Whatever you do, I beg of you to avoid Dr. Clark Warden from your state.  He has really messed up some of his patients.  I agree with what majormom said above.  Dr. Stewart in Denton, Texas is experienced and well respected as a DS cutter, and is used to working wih out-of-town patients.  Also, the ones in Tennessee from dsfacts.com are likely to be good. 

The doctors Davis are still pretty new to the DS -- they are on the way to probably being considered recommendable, but not quite yet (IMHO). 
Gigifatsalloff
on 2/19/12 12:08 am
DS on 02/20/12
I'm having mine tomorrow by Dr. Stewart in Denton, Texas. He is a very compassionate and thorough surgeon. Believe me I have researched lots of options. I still have to travel 5 hours but this surgery and surgeon are surely worth it!

airbender
on 2/19/12 10:55 am
yes I had to fly for my DS, no surgeon in the surrounding 3 states.  it is not uncommon to travel for the DS, and i was a revision, so it was even more  important.  good luck with your search....
sillylinnie
on 2/19/12 12:16 pm - Monroe, OH
Hey there,

Dont know if ya remember me, I am a fellow sleever to a ds (or I was corrected at my ck up friday a BPD whatever that is ) not all docs update there info on here.  But b very picky on who you let back in there to rearrage your guts honey.  I love my Ds or whatever it is sorry I am a bit irritated with my surgion.  But the sleeve wasnt enough for me either but I was a high bmi starter as well.  I hope all else is going well for you I havent been on here for awhile and so much has changed I cant even figured out these tickers or anything but any whoo.  Be very pick and find yourself a good one honey.

Linda

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

celticfaery
on 2/19/12 12:26 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
Hey there Linda!!!

I definitely remember you!!!  Hope things are going well!!  I remember you were having a tough go with things...  I'm glad to see you decided to go with the DS.  I recall you mentioning it when you quit losing with the sleeve.  The BPD is the biliopancratic diversion.  Its just the DS's way of rerouting of the intestines.  Or atleast that's what I understand about it. 

I agree about being picky.  The last thing I want to do is go with someone inexperienced.  I'm excited about taking this leap, though...  I'm ready to finish this journey and start working to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.  I got on my bike this afternoon and did 30 minutes.  I was so miserable, like always.  But I did it.  And I'll do it again tomorrow... 

Thanks for the response, doll!!!  Please keep in touch. 
Hugs!!!
Lauren
PatXYZ
on 2/19/12 1:31 pm
The BPD and DS are two different surgeries. You're not sure which you had?
sillylinnie
on 2/20/12 7:40 am - Monroe, OH
up to Friday I thought I had the DS I had the sleeve in may of 07 then did the rerouting in july of 09 and I thought I got the DS completed.  I went for a ck up and I said to the PA I didnt have any probs with the DS only probs I have had is since you all removed my skin and did the tummy tuck in April (16in skin off belly) and he was like you have the BPD.  I was like whats that and it was said oh pre muchthe same thing. So I am a bit confused.  I am actually haven surgery in the morning for female stuff and a general surgion to explore while there in ther cause I am having so much prob since the tummy tuck.  So ya I have no idea what a BPD is and didnt know that is what I had done .  UGH thats why i said be care on who you let in your guts

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

nightowl
on 2/20/12 1:57 pm, edited 2/20/12 2:19 pm - Topeka, KS
Get a copy of your operative report from surgery.  Sometimes the words BPD and DS are used interchangeably, and sometimes they refer to the same operation, but not always.  The old BPD that did not have the DS with it did not have the food going through the pylorus, while a DS does, as does a "BPD with DS."

Edited to add: I meant the report from your surgery that we hope was the DS (although it might be interesting to also get the report of your upcoming lady surgery.  Good luck!)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views