Atlanta OH Conference DS Friendly Vendors - Speakers

LaShelle2
on 3/5/12 7:40 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hi,

Kim contacted me today to ask for some suggestions for DS friendly vendors, surgeons, speakers, nutritionists, etc to include in the Atlanta OH Conference.

If any of you have been to a wls conference, you know they are not always friendly toward us DS'ers.

So, what / who would you like to see included to make DSers feel more welcome?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

sassyjonz
on 3/12/12 11:00 am - Atlanta, GA
That's a good question LaShelle.  I'm gonna have to give that some thought.

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

LaShelle2
on 3/12/12 11:03 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Kim followed up ans states Dr. Dennis Smith is a confirmed speaker. She would like to know what topic to hace him speak on.

I think " Clearing up the Myths about DS" would be great.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

dlappin413
on 3/12/12 11:28 am - Woodstock, GA
I would like to see Dr. Smith speak on the DS diet short term and long term... or a vendor or nutritionist; that is, as long as they gear it toward the DS and not RNY.  Having had Dr. Smith as my surgeon, I know he gears his information to me toward the RNY.  It may be a good opportunity for he or the nutritionist to do further research on the DS diet with this forum, the Weight Loss Surgery forum, DSFacts, and other surgeons.

Taking the DS diet and Dr. Smith specifically off the table, other things to discuss would be stalls, the most frequent complications and how to deal with them (symptoms, when to go to ER, etc.), and the differences/benefits of DS over other WLS surgeries.  As well, something on how long-term (veteran) DSers are doing on a statistical basis.  Perhaps they could have a DS veteran speak in conjunction.

That's my 2 cents... thanks for the opportunity to speak up.  Please provide the link to the conference website if there is one and the dates.  I would love to go if I have the opportunity.

Thanks!
Diana
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

Amanda-DS
on 3/16/12 7:42 am
How about have one of us speak, we live it daily. A surgeon is nice to have if you need that for validation. Personally I think we are the best advertising for the DS!
There are many of us that are years out living healthy lives.

Include some of us in a fashion show.

Have full fat food available for meals if served. We do not need low calorie or low fat, rather high fat high protein option.

What about a breakout session with a panel of DSer's- one newly done, first year and someone that is way out from surgery.
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

LaShelle2
on 3/16/12 11:43 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I agree!  I always prefer advice from a real person who has actually gone through something rather than an "expert".   

Are you volunteering?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

dlappin413
on 3/23/12 10:44 am - Woodstock, GA
Thank you for acknowledging my request and for keeping the request anonymous.  I admire and value Dr. Smith's skills as a surgeon.  I just think he, and probably many other WLS surgeons, need to keep aware of the "real" world of what works for DS vs other WLSs.  I am looking forward to the conference!
I hope you dance with enthusiasm... and a million other things joyful!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 246 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views