Donating Blood and/or Plasma, Donor Registry List

Lisa R.
on 3/19/12 5:06 am - Madison Township, PA
Hello all,

Just wondering, and I realize over four years out I should know the answer to this...but for DSers, what is the general rule for donating blood, donating plasma and also being put on the donor registry list?

I have a dear friend who's aunt is fighting an awful type of very rare cancer - we've gotten involved in the lives of her co-patients, and I was wondering how much I could help out even with being a DS patient.

Any help and/or advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated...

Lisa
(who leaves for Miami in 11 days...)

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

zuzupetals2u2
on 3/19/12 12:00 pm - Sedona, AZ
 perhaps you have received a PM by now to go to the other group, but I recall someone who is now there previously posting that as a DS'er it is no longer recommended for our health to donate blood anymore.  I don't recall the excat particulars on why that is tho.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

MajorMom
on 3/19/12 7:12 pm - VA
Donating blood is not recommended post-DS. We have an awful time replacing it and even keeping our labs up is a challenge even without donating. Find another way to help if you can but don't jeopardize your own health. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisa R.
on 3/19/12 11:02 pm - Madison Township, PA
So even donating either blood or plasma once would be a risk?

What about being on the registry list, should I even bother with that?

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

Valerie G.
on 3/20/12 1:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Nope, our bodies fight a little harder to keep iron levels up than the average bear.  Donating drops those levels.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ladynitewolf
on 3/20/12 8:49 am - BFE, CA
I don't dare donate blood or plasma. I've got way too much of an anemia issue for me to be doing that. My surgeon doesn't recommend it for those of us who have iron issues especially, but generally for all who have the DS.

As for being put on the donor registry list, I am assuming that it's for marrow, kidneys, etc? That sort of thing I've never gotten a thumbs up or down from him on, but that's something that I enthusiastically am part of.

In the end, you have to do what's best for your body. If you're horribly anemic after surgery and struggle with keeping your iron up, then you shouldn't be donating blood because you will be harming yourself in the long run. And what's the point in helping someone else if you're harming yourself in the process?

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

Chicarita
on 3/21/12 1:28 am
Actually, the post I remember reading over there said "it depends". If you struggle to keep your iron levels up, or they are just "normal" than donating whole blood is no bueno. However, if your levels are high normal or high, it might not be an issue for you.

Also, a nurse that posted on that thread said that plasma doesn't have the same effect. I don't know if that's true, but I would check with your doctor and see what he/she says.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views