diabetes remission where is it?

maxie1
on 4/3/12 1:21 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
which surgery is best to resolve diabetes... i have had the sleeve in june... all posts on the sleeve forum everyone has their diabetes in remission except me...  is the ds the better option to turn to for the diabetes remission... am i the one in a million that the surgery did not work.. .some people go in remission a year or so after some few days after surgery.. how long am i suppose to weight...  confused.. thanks..  i did post on here before could use more input thanks for reading...
susan                                                                                                
MajorMom
on 4/3/12 7:55 pm - VA
Some folks just need the switch to fix the diabetes. I think there are some studies on www.dsfacts.com that show a comparison of the "cure" rates for diabetes among the different WLSs.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nightowl
on 4/3/12 7:59 pm - Topeka, KS
Yes, the DS is your best bet for remission of your diabetes.  I think/seem to recall that Alverdy & Prachand from University of Chicago had a published article in which all of the 48-or so (if memory serves) DS patients in their study had diabetes resolve.  What made it stick out for me was that, of their sample, it was a 100% "cure" rate (not sure which word exactly they used).  Studies of DSers tend to have small sample sizes, due to how uncommon DSes are.  So, it wasn't to generalize that all people with type 2 diabetes remit, but it is high enough that it would take a larger sample to find one who did not have it resolve.  And, I have seen a few cases on this message board over the years where it wasn't entirely taken care of (or, they had type 1, which can't remit).  However, it still improved, such that the patient didn't need as much insulin or could decrease use of some oral agents.

Dr. Roslin, I believe, has written or presented on the better effects on diabetes from DS compared to a gastric bypass.  With the RNY gastric bypass, there are also increasing cases of reactive hypoglycemia causing big problems.

There are some abstracts about the DS for diabetes at http://www.dsfacts.com/Type-2-Diabetes-Cure.html

Another surgeon you might check out is Dr. Antanavicious (?sp), who is a partner of the Dr. Bonnani listed at DSfacts.com.  There is the warning at DSfacts that Dr. Bonnani has been turning down certain patients for the DS who are not severely obese enough in his estimation.  Dr. Antanavicious (?sp) is experienced enough in the DS that if I were in charge of the vetted list, I would add him.  But, if they turn you down, just be willing to travel further for a DS.
nightowl
on 4/3/12 8:04 pm - Topeka, KS
Oh, I forgot to add, I think you should get it now/soon, while your weight can still qualify for the DS with a BMI >35 (going by your ticker, a weight of around 222 lbs, if you aren't too tall, should be heavy enough), while insurance still covers it, while you still have insurance, etc.
maxie1
on 4/4/12 1:07 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thank you for your input i am going to look into the ds
susan                                                                                                
NoMore B.
on 4/3/12 10:25 pm
You were misled if you think that the sleeve alone cures diabetes as a result of the surgery.  Restrictve only procedures (LapBand and VSG) can resolve diabetes as an effect of losing weight - same as if you lost weight without the surgery.  The RNY and the DS usually resolve diabetes within hours of surgery by the metabolic effect caused with the intestinal reconstruction.  That's the difference.  The DS has a better resolution rate than the RNY (and more effective stats in other areas, too), based on the differences in the surgeries.
maxie1
on 4/4/12 1:08 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thank you for your input
susan                                                                                                
larra
on 4/4/12 12:49 am - bay area, CA
The rate of resolution of type 2 diabetes with the DS is 92-98%, depending on which study you read, and these are with large numbers of people in the study. The rate for sleeve is, in reality, probably less than 50%, and related entirely to weight loss, not to any metabolic benefit. If the people with the sleeve who have seen their diabetes go away regain weight, they will regain their type 2 diabetes as well. So I don't know who the "everyone" you are referring to is, but if you went entirely on the personal experience of some happy and fortunate sleeve post-ops, without really looking into the statistics, well, that wasn't your best approach.
     As others have said, if you want to get the switch part of the DS, do it sooner rather than later for best weight loss results, and best chance of getting insurance coverage.

Larra
maxie1
on 4/4/12 1:08 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thank you for your input
susan                                                                                                
PatXYZ
on 4/4/12 12:08 pm
The rate of remission of diabetes with the sleeve is 55% of diabetics, so you are by no means 'one in a million'. You need the DS.
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views