Anyone have/had this problem?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Valerie G.
on 4/16/12 4:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I had to look it up to confidently say NO, I don't suffer from this:

What Are the Causes of a Long Redundant Colon?

X Nicole Gordon

Nicole Gordon is a graduate from the University of Central Florida and has been a freelance writer for over seven years. During her freelance career Gordon has written for such publications as the Orlando Sentinel online, Axis magazine and various other websites.

What Are the Causes of a Long Redundant Colon? thumbnail The stomach isn't all it appears to be from the outside.

Colons vary in shape and size. While all colons have loops, a redundant colon consists of extra loops which cause it to be longer than normal. The extra loops in the colon may have developed naturally or as the result of factors such as stress, toxins or dietary issues.

1. Constipation and Dietary Issues

• The most probable cause of redundant colon is constipation. Putting pressure on the colon by straining for a bowel movement twists the colon causing obstruction, swelling or misshaping of the large intestine. Because constipation results from an imbalanced, fiber-deficient diet, prevention of constipation and the resulting problems like redundant colon can be addressed by following a diet that includes healthy fats and plenty of whole grains.

Stress

• Because stress can lead to infrequent bowel movements, this can be another contributing factor in the development of constipation and, possibly, redundant colon.

• Pathogenic organisms in the body contribute to redundant colon by causing illness, disease, and other health issues. If toxins and bacteria remain in the colon too long, they can contaminate the fecal matter and cause colon obstruction.

Warning

• The term redundant colon is often confused with the term "twisted colon," or volvulus, which is actually a much more serious issue. While someone may be born with a long or redundant colon, a twisted colon occurs when the colon begins to twist around itself. This causes cramping, abdominal pain, a distended belly and usually requires immediate medical attention.

Read more: What Are the Causes of a Long Redundant Colon? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6867775_causes-long-redundant-colo n_.html#ixzz1sEGWJbN1

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 4/18/12 12:47 pm
I'm sorry that I don't have a link for you, but there's recebtly been a discussion about this on the DS Post-Op Problems Yahoo group. I get the digests, but I don't have it saved. You can probably find it via Google.

I do know of someone who had this and wound up having the excess surgically removed.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 276 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 750 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views