Complications but home now

route66hello
on 5/2/12 5:54 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hello,

A few may remember that back in March I posted about my upcoming DS surgery. I had had two previous RNY in 2006 and 2009 so this DS was a revision. My surgeon was/is Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco. I ran into a lot of troubles. I have a hole/leak and developed infections. I was in the hospital for over a month. I was suppose to go back to work next week and now the date could not be until August 2012. It is just a very slow, slow process for the leak/hole to heal. The problem has to do with the previous surgeries and (my term) the integrity of the tissue. I have had no food/liquid since mid-March and take everything through the feed tube. I also have the wound vacuum. It is just a lot.
  I will admit it is hard to stay positive right now. Being home it better though and I am trying to stay engaged in things. Just wanted to let folks know my current update.   Thanks for any good wishes! Terri Grant Hello,

A few may remember that back in March I posted about my upcoming DS surgery. I had had two previous RNY in 2006 and 2009 so this DS was a revision. My surgeron was/is Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco.

MajorMom
on 5/2/12 7:31 pm - VA
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with complications but I'm glad you have the best DS surgeon on the planet to help you through them. Sending healing vibes your way. Please keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

* Gail R *
on 5/3/12 2:49 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Oh Terri, I am so sorry you had complications. I hope for you that the time will come soon when you have reached a healthy weight and full recovery and this episode will seem like just a big bump in the road. I can't imagine what you are going through, but it sounds very hard. I am glad you have Dr. Rabkin taking care of you. Thankfully, you don't live too far from SF if you need to get back to Dr. R.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

larra
on 5/3/12 4:15 am - bay area, CA
I do remember you, and I'm sorry you have had such a hard time of it, but glad you are home and healing now. Revisions are so much more prone to serious complications.
    It sounds like you are now on the mend, even if progress is slow. Stay strong, better days are ahead!

Larra
Teetster
on 5/3/12 12:36 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hello Terri,

I was also a revision to DS, although I revised from a VSG to a DS. I as well had complications and spent almost 3 months in the hospital and rehabilitation center. I remember well the picc line, TPN feeding, and wound vac. It is just awful while you're going through it.  I just wanted to reach out to you as someone who has been there. It will get better. While you're going through it, it seems like it may never end. At least, that's how I felt. I had serious buyers remorse.

I never thought I would feel good again, and here I am feeling very good indeed.

Be patient with yourself, be good to yourself, and in no time you will be rocking that DS.

route66hello
on 5/3/12 3:34 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Thank you VERY much for reaching out with your story. You understand exactly. My PICC line came out 2 weeks ago but then of course I am bruised and hurt trying to get blood. I have the wound vac, the drains and it just seems like healing will take forever and my life is done.... though of course I wish you did not have the complications either it does help to know that I am not the only one out there.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words! Terri
kathie09
on 5/3/12 3:16 pm - not available
I wasn't a revision.....so I can't imagine how hard this is for you right now! Maybe Kerry J. is still on this board, and he will chime in too. I remember that his revision was very scary, and his daughter told me that she didn't think he was going to make it. He did recover though.....and he is living an amazing life right now.

Take care of you. I am a big believer in prayer, so I will send one up for you. I hoep you get feeling better soon. And I second what was said earlier - I'm so glad you got the best revision surgeon around. That gives me so much hope for you. It is going to get better!!!

kathie09
Tabitha70
on 5/4/12 1:38 am
Hi Terri.  I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this, you must be feeling both physically and emotionally drained!
I, too, had a similar situation with my revision. 2 months in the hospital because of a stubborn leak and many surgeries/procedures during that time. My PICC line got infected and I ended up with a blood infection..etc.  I was begging my doctor to let me go home and was so excited when I finally did get discharged. I didn't realize how much all of that had taken out of me and found out very quickly being home was no picnic either! The simplest things were so difficult and exhausting for me. After I got done with at-home IV treatments things started to get better...but very slowly. It was a very difficult time for me because it was hard to fight off depression. Thankfully I had this board to reach out to and a wonderful family to help get me through it. It took months and months but between healing and losing cumbersome weight I started to regain my life and then after that I *really* started living!
I also had buyer's remorse at the time but knowing now how much better my life is, I would do the whole miserable thing over again!
Hang in there Terri...it DOES get better...better than you ever imagined.
Remember, slow & steady wins the race.
*hugs*

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views