Vits....For.when you get OLD

lamp35
on 5/23/12 11:44 pm
 Do you ever worry about your vitamin regimen for when you get old. I'm starting to ponder those questions of "what if I'm 90 and in a nursing home with dementia "......my life will literally be dependent on caretakers making sure I get my Vits.....that's a terrifying thought to me :(
mrsannie
on 5/24/12 12:58 am
 I'm more worried about the smell!!!

By that point, I can't worry about it, when I go I go at least I lived!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Lori F.
on 5/24/12 1:15 am - Chula Vista, CA
 I actually have thought of that, too! When the doc doesn't even know how to help you, what is going to happen if we suddenly cannot care for ourselves? I was thinking of writing it all out in case of emergency. Seriously, the whole getting old thing has been bothering me too!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
MsBatt
on 5/24/12 1:32 am
In an emergency, yes. But for long-term care? Do you really WANT your body to live on, after your mind's gone? I sure don't.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/25/12 9:03 am, edited 5/24/12 9:06 pm

I already have my list of nutritionals written out, and I keep one in the car, one in my purse, and I have it placed in all my medical files no matter what I'm seeing a particular doctor for, and I see plenty, because of lupus and fibromyalgia.

I go to great lengths to make sure everybody is on the same page in terms of my nutritionals, and I have an emergency card with my surgeon's contact info on it (www.dsfacts.com)

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MsBatt
on 5/24/12 1:30 am
If I'm ever in a nursing home with dementia, then the last thing to worry about will be keeping my body in optimal health. When my mind's gone, I WANT my body to die---quickly!
Sandra C.
on 5/24/12 5:47 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I have thought about it a lot too. I just spent the last 4 years caring for my mom, and ended with the rest home experience. There are vitamin protein shakes, if I cant chew, or swallow pills. Atfter this point, there's not much time left any way. Live now is a great perspective. Thats why I had the D.S. in the first place !!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

PattyL
on 5/24/12 9:18 am
 If I'm in a nursing home with dementia, I won't care.  I WOULD want to die asap!  My life was over and done with.
NoMore B.
on 5/24/12 9:42 am, edited 5/24/12 9:42 am
 The way  I looked at it, at least with my DS that is something I can have the option of worrying about.  Remaining morbidly obese I surely wouldn't have lived that long to begin with.

My husband works in long term care, and they are very good about doing what each individual needs.  I think we just need to make sure our family or caregiver understands what we require and to communicate it.  People of all different types of WLS have needs, so ours needs may be different, but with the popularity of bariatric surgery, the long term care providers should know they will need to meet the needs of a future generation of bariatiric patients
JazzyOne9254
on 5/25/12 8:55 am
I've looked after three of my elders, most recently my Mom, and even in the best facilities, you don't always get what you need, even as a normie.

I will live *now* because I have long life genes. Mom was about to turn 93, her older brother lived to 96, a great aunt on my Dad's side lived to 112.  I am likely to live to an age where long term care becomes a reality for me sooner rather than later, as I have no husband, children or other relatives to care for me. I'm currently 54.

From what I've seen in long term care, I will likely die quickly from malnutrition.

When it's time, it's time.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 269 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 744 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views