Iced Coffee vs. Hot Coffee

WeeSteppn
on 6/7/12 1:44 am
 Does anyone know why at Tim Horton's the iced coffee has plenty more carbs than the hot coffee? I used their calculator and did a medium hot coffee with cream and splenda. It was 2 carbs. Then I did an iced version, a medium iced coffee with 2 creams and 2 splendas and got like 22 carbs! What is making the difference? Isn't iced coffee just that....an iced version of the hot? What am I missing here? The cream and splenda are the same doses in both so perhaps it's the coffee concentrate they use in the iced? Hmmm.....

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

Valerie G.
on 6/7/12 2:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
It may be a pre-mixed version with extra sweeteners or milk already added.  I've seen such things at restaurant supply stores when shopping for my restaurant.  I've not tried them, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 6/7/12 4:33 am
 Interesting.  I make iced coffee and I've noticed everything has to be stronger to get the right flavor.
Gutless_in_Seattle
on 6/7/12 4:33 am - Seattle, WA
I don't know about that place, Valerie is probably right about the pre-mix.
The Ice Coffee I get at Starbucks is simply triple strength fresh brewed coffee over ice. The only carbs are in your additives...
JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/12 11:44 am

I make Iced Hazlenut Decaf for my shakes, and I make it on the strong side, to hold up with the ice. 

I brew the hazelnut decaf, home-ground from beans (invest in a coffee grinder -coffee lasts longer, and stays fresher), maybe pour a cup of hot, then just let it sit on the warmer. Just before bedtime, I pour it into a plastic refigerator bottle, and put it in the fridge.

I always have a 2 1/2 quart bottle in the fridge, and if I want hot coffee, I just warm some up in a pan, which is actually quicker than the microwave!  (gas range)

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Elia-B
on 6/7/12 11:20 pm
I use a Chemex glass coffee maker.. it's like a glass caraff (sp?).  You put a paper filter in the mouth of the glass jar, add grounds, pour ho****er through, and then throw out the filter and grounds.  The cleanup is incredibly easy - that's all it takes.  Then, after the coffee has a chance to cool, I just put the whole glass coffee maker in the fridge.  It looks like a glass flask you might have seen in Chemistry class.  Very simple design. 

PattyL
on 6/8/12 6:11 am
 That's the coffee maker used in the Mary Tyler Moore show.  Very simple and classy!  I've always had one question, how do you keep the coffee warm?  And it doesn't seem to make all that much.
Elia-B
on 6/9/12 9:53 pm
 I'm not sure how you would go about keeping it warm over time.  I guess you could put it on a hot plate.  I have a gas stove and of course you wouldn't want to set the glass coffee maker over a flame.  But, if you had an electric, flat top, that would probably be ok.

I drink my coffee cold so I love it.  I make my coffee, let it cool right in the maker, and then put it in the fridge and it lasts me for about three days.  The coffee makers come in different sizes.  Mine holds 6 - 8oz cups.  Amazon has them in different sizes and there's one listed as being for 10 cups, but I don't know if those are 8 oz cups, lol.  I'm thinking that a "cup" of coffee is 6 oz... is that right?

Anyway, I love mine.  I've tried other coffee makers and this is the only one I've stuck with.  I've got one that was over a hundred dollars and had a built in coffee grinder, etc.  Was such a pain to clean though!  The chemex one is so unbelievably simple.  And, you can visually see that it's clean.  There's a long, wooden handled brush you can get for cleaning them.  I highly recommend getting it for convenience.  And, I got my chemex as a coffee shop and got the chemex filters there at the same time.  But, the filters were the wrong size so they would actually fall down in the coffee maker if I weren't really careful.  Turns out the filter was simply the wrong size for my maker.  When I ordered more filters via Amazon, I got a better fit size and it's been smooth sailing from there.

WeeSteppn
on 6/7/12 10:38 pm
 Yes, that's right, I have seen those pre-mixed as well. I had hoped they were just using a  cold pressed coffee like I've seen some recipies on the Net. All well. I'll try some of your ideas outlined here. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do love my coffee. :)

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

merrymorris
on 6/10/12 1:54 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
If it is just iced coffee with nothing else added it wouldn't have the carbs.
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 57 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 629 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 228 views