gastric sleeve to ds

maxie1
on 6/14/12 7:58 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Hi,

I was wondering how long did you wait till you had your ds... I am one year out on the gastric sleeve but my diabetes has not gone away or slowed down... I was thinking of having the ds now and what my chances would be of remission of the diabetes... thanks for any input.. I am only down 55 lbs..

susan...

susan                                                                                                
MajorMom
on 6/14/12 8:15 am - VA
Welcome! There's a 98% cure rate for type II diabetes with the DS. You might want to do some reading on www.dsfacts.com. It's a great resource and has a good list of vetted DS surgeons. There are a couple of DS surgeons in PA and a few in NJ / NY.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

maxie1
on 6/14/12 8:20 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Thank you, I really dont want to be that 2% that it will not go away.. I did go to a Dr near phila and there psych and my psych could not get together.. so a surgeon here in the Wilkes barre area who I had loved and trusted started doing the gastric sleeve so I went for it.. I did well and I was down 60 lbs over the year but since gained 5 back..  but my main concern was the diabetes I thought I would have seen a drastic change but have not.. Now I am hoping the surgeon I went to before will take me again and do the DS not sure how that is going to work.. thanks for the input and listening..

susan.

susan                                                                                                
MajorMom
on 6/14/12 8:25 am - VA
There aren't a lot of surgeons who know how to do the DS so don't get discouraged if the one you have doesn't do it. Shop around and use that list on DSFacts. Good luck. :)

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

maxie1
on 6/14/12 8:27 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

thanks i was afraid noone would fix another sugeons surgery.. but  i guess the ds is a two part surgery any way so i guess another surgeon could revise it .. thanks i will check out that website.

susan

susan                                                                                                
Huneypie
on 6/15/12 6:54 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM Pacific Time, maxie1 wrote:

Thank you, I really dont want to be that 2% that it will not go away.. I did go to a Dr near phila and there psych and my psych could not get together.. so a surgeon here in the Wilkes barre area who I had loved and trusted started doing the gastric sleeve so I went for it.. I did well and I was down 60 lbs over the year but since gained 5 back..  but my main concern was the diabetes I thought I would have seen a drastic change but have not.. Now I am hoping the surgeon I went to before will take me again and do the DS not sure how that is going to work.. thanks for the input and listening..

susan.

I read somewhere that there was a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the remaining percentage.  These links may be of interest:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/diabetes/3751535/If-you-ar e-Type-2-and-considering-WLS/ 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4468495/DS-and-Type-2 -Diabetes-Predictive-Factors-in-CURE/ 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 6/15/12 6:59 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I'll be 21 months out by the time I'm switched (longer than I'd hoped, but I had to sort out finances).  I'm pre-diabetic so hope this will do the trick for me.

FWIW it's some non-obese people get the DS part of their intestines done without a sleeve purely for diabetes resolution.  See here  http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/53802-cu re.html 

HTH

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

maxie1
on 6/16/12 1:24 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

thanks for the websites i will check them out..

susan

susan                                                                                                
Sandra C.
on 6/17/12 10:15 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 We used to live in Wilkes -Barre. Ask how many D.S.es the surgeon has done. Is he on the OH vetted list? My surgeon does revisions from other surgeons surgeries. You should choose a surgeon with lots of experience, for safety sake. Maryland has some surgeons to look into, not too far for you, and NY has several great D.S. surgeons. I would look there first.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

maxie1
on 6/18/12 7:49 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Hi,

Did the ds work for you?

susan

susan                                                                                                
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views