PROBLEMS GETTING LABS WRITTEN

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/14/12 10:15 am - Sedona, AZ
 Since so many of us are seem to run into stubborn doctors who feel we don't need all those labs on the VL recommended list  & in many cases don't write them for us, it occurred to me we need something in writing to help pursuade them.

I will contact VL too (tho I know she is ill) but I also wanted to throw it out there to see if we can get a few others willing to throw out some arguments justifying WHY we DS'ers need all those labs taken. I know my doctor seems resentful of my repeated requests as she feels she knows more about labs than me or VL. 

I don't mind doing the letter but don't have the knowledge about it all myself so if there is anyone more knowledgeable who wants to participate on this project, let me know . . I for one need to work up some irrefutable arguments and details about why each thing is on the list beyond what she thinks is necessary is important.

thanks!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/14/12 5:35 pm - Sedona, AZ
 I think the "Conversation with your PCP" letter in the DSFACTS.com really covers most of this information already so I am going to recopy that and keep it in my file when it's lab time. I gave it to my PCP over 1-1/2 years ago .  .in case anyone else needs to do the same . .that is where you can find it . .
beemerbeeper
on 6/15/12 4:09 am - AL
I write my own lab slip and all the MD has to do is sign it.  I have the labs sent to that MD, to my surgeon and released to me.

I haven't had an MD refuse to sign it yet.  

~Becky

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/15/12 4:36 am, edited 6/15/12 4:39 am - Sedona, AZ
well mine sends hers through an internal mail system so she types it in & I don't see it and as she types it in she tells me why certain things are meaningless based on other things on the labs etc etc and I have no ammunition against it. After I get the labs I will have a list of the ones missed and try to find out why each one is needed for a DS'er and get more labs. I asked for a referral to a hemotologist but she didnt want to give it & then suggested I go to the nearest center of excellence in Flagstaff to a doctor there for follow up. Well I talked to the one DS'er I know of there and she says he won't do all the labs she requests from the VL list either, saying they are also unnecessary. So I am still working on it . . .
seekingsusan
on 6/15/12 3:18 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
Have you asked your surgeon to write that letter? He can state the obvious issue. Malabsorbtion!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views