Hypokalemia/Anemia? Questions/advice, please!

nawnndawn
on 6/17/12 9:28 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi all, I had Roux En Y done and I posted this in the main forum, but several people suggested that I post this in here.  Maybe someone here has been through this and has some advice for me.  Thanks a lot!!  Dawn

Post Date: 6/16/12 7:48 pm
Hey everyone! My name is Dawn and I just hit my FIVE year surgiversary yesterday! I used to frequent this board more when I first had my surgery but I have some questions that I am wondering if anyone has answers to, or maybe some advice. Since March of this year I have been hospitalized six times for hypokalemia (low potassium) the last time I was hopitalized the dr.s told me that my iron was extremeley low as well, so I was given two bags of iron during that stay. The follow up bllodwork showed that both the iron and the potassuim dropped. Now, I knew from experience that the potassium would drop, basically as soon as the IV would be ripped from my arm it would drop, but I was surprised about the iron. During my hospital stay-it was a week, I was given every test under the sun (endoscopy, colonoscopy, extensive bloodwork, utrasounds,etc) there was talk of a bone marrow biopsy but that has not happened as of yet. So I am wondering if anyoe out there who has had the surgery, specifically roux en y has had problems with potassium and iron to the point where they have been hopspitalized for it. Did dr's come up with a diaginosis? I feel so alone, I have taken a lot of flack for having the surgery in the first place, but I have never regretted my decision. These problems started shortly after my son was born last August and I am curious to know if my pregnancy "tripped" something. (I ws high risk as I had gestational diabetes) I'm trying my best to eat the right foods and I take all my supplements and prescriptions religiously! If you can offer and advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm so down to the point where someone else has to pick me up. Dawn
teachmid
on 6/17/12 10:18 am - OKC, OK
I had anemia issues with my RNY and has continued with my DS to a lesser extent. You might post your supplement schedule.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MajorMom
on 6/17/12 10:40 am - VA
Are you getting infusions for iron routinely? Some of us simple can't absorb iron orally. Do you have a hematologist that understands your WLS? You might need to shop for one that gets it. I hope you get this sorted out quickly. Please keep us posted.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

DivaJojo
on 6/19/12 6:57 am - Atlanta, GA
Here's my two cents for what it's worth.  I'm not familiar with the RNY, but I have had life-long anemia issues which became pretty severe even prior to WLS.  When the severity of it was finally realized, I had to have two infusions within a month's time just to get my levels up to normal.  Even after WLS, no matter what iron I take orally, I still have to have an infusion about once per year.  So we stopped doing oral iron all together as it only delayed the need for infusion by about a month.

I have also had lifelong potassium issues.   It ran low and I started oral potassium, but it tanked around this time last year, specifically because my doctor put me on a water pill for blood pressure that was not potassium-sparing (HCT - which actively flushes potassium from the system).   If you take a diuretic, you may check that it is potassium-sparing and, if not, change immediately.

That's all the advice I can offer, but I sincerely hope you get this worked out.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

PatXYZ
on 6/19/12 11:33 pm
Hypokalemia is usually caused by vomiting or diarrhea - are you having either of these issues?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views