John Hopkins Bariatric Center - Help

N. K
on 6/19/12 4:41 am
Hey guys I am really looking to get rid of this band and I am researching the necessary steps to getting a revision to DS. I wanted to know if any of you had your surgery done by Dr. Michael A.. Schweitzer at John Hopkins and if so would you refer him?
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/12 4:54 am
I'm pretty sure (don't quote me) that he is NOT doing the DS any more.

Check www.dsfacts.com for the list of vetted surgeons.

Good luck.
N. K
on 6/19/12 5:35 am
Had to do a quick reversal. I was getting information from this site mixed up with info from JH website. The admin on the phone at the John Hopkins office told me they still do it but I don't see it on DSfacts or on their webpage and she didn't sound to promissing. I have to wait 10 - 14 days for a return call so hopefully I will get that cleared up then. This process is so frustrating since there aren't that many surgeons who perform this surgery. Oh well may just have to take a trip somewhere.
N. K
on 6/19/12 5:29 am
N. K
on 6/19/12 5:45 am

Updated information. From JH Website it doesn't look like Dr. Schweitzer does it anymore, but under Dr. Nguyen's name it is still listed so hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel there after all.

nightowl
on 6/19/12 6:36 am - Topeka, KS
Dr. Schweitzer was removed from DSfacts.com's vetted list because he stopped doing the DS all in one surgery.  The last I had read and seen was that he would consider adding the intestinal switch surgery after someone already has a sleeve, and the sleeve isn't enough for them.  This is problematic in many ways.  Most insurances are extremely loathe to allow a revision for lack of sufficient weight loss on the previous weight loss surgery.  They or a doctor can argue it is your fault for not following some prescribed diet/excercise/behavior modification.  Two surgeries also mean more days of recovery, pain, appointments, lost work, needing help from others, etc.  And Medicare and some other insurances don't cover a stand-alone sleeve -- they only cover it when it is done as a part of a DS.

The last people I know of who got a DS from Dr. Schweitzer in one surgery had them in 2008.  I know of one member here on OH, ratkitty is the name I think, who used him around 2 years ago (? not sure on time), to revise her from just a sleeve to a full DS.

I have never heard of Dr. Nguyen.
MajorMom
on 6/19/12 7:20 am - VA
Several friends in the area that used JH before the end of 2008 but nightowl is spot on, they can't be trusted to do your DS all in one surgery.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 6/19/12 10:35 am - bay area, CA
Forget JH now and save yourself a lot of frustration. Dr. S used to do the DS, then decided to stop doing them. He did this so suddenly that a couple patients who posted here who had dates scheduled for the DS with him got phone calls telling them their surgery was cancelled, period.
     Not good!
They were already approved by insurance, had done consults and pre-op work-up, made all their arrangements, etc. If he didn't want to do the DS anymore, that's his business, but his committments to those patients should have been honored.
     And I've never heard of the other doc you mentioned in about 7 years on this website as someone who does the DS.
      Might as well face it now, you are NOT going to get a DS at JH, revision or not revision. We repeat, check the list of real, vetted DS surgeons at dsfacts.com and go from there. Accept that you will need to travel. This is your reality.

Larra
jen319_rn
on 6/22/12 11:29 am - La Plata, MD
I had my surgery in 2008  and shortly after he stopped and one person had approval and everything. I love Dr. S and was self pay and would never have had the 2 step but also I was considered a light weight but lost 128. I do not know the other doctor and he was not there during my time at JHH. Good luck finding an good and reputable surgeon. Fingers crossed! :)

Jennifer

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 227 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 723 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views