Does this happen to you??

twodelight
on 6/22/12 1:52 am - Atlanta, GA
  Ok pasta is something I have to limit. But when I eat spaghetti with the sauce I am guaranteed to have orange slicks or for that matter any oil base foods. Just wondering if this may happen to you. I know we are all different but was wondering if our bodies can tolerate oil based food like salad dressings and stuff like that. 
What are your thoughts???

Valerie G.
on 6/22/12 3:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I had the orange slicks in the toilet the first couple of years, but no longer.  It wasn't a big deal for me, just bizarre to see. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janine P.
on 6/22/12 4:04 am - Long Island, NY
Though pasta sauce does not give me the oil slicks in the potty, some things do.  Cheap bologna (Oscar Meyer, not Boar's Head) gives me oil slicks without fail.  There are other things but I can't think of what they are.  The vets say they gradually go away over time but it's normal in the first few years.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

twodelight
on 6/22/12 4:58 am - Atlanta, GA
I see. I will be 2 yrs out in September so I'm looking forward to that relief
merrymorris
on 6/22/12 10:07 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Glad to know it goes away because I almost always have the slicks. I do eat a lot of fat, though.
Sunshine16
on 6/22/12 9:58 pm
Yes your system in so many ways go back.....it is not as sensitive.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

* Gail R *
on 6/24/12 8:00 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Be glad of the oil slicks. It means you are not digesting those calories and storing that fat.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

JazzyOne9254
on 6/24/12 8:37 pm, edited 6/24/12 8:38 pm
Oil slicks from fatty foods are common with a new DS. Don't be alarmed; It's working as it should. DSer's only absorb 20% of dietary fats, which is why we are prone to ADEK (fat soluble vitamins) deficiencies. I've never had an oil slick from salad dressing, but there are things in there that can cause some gawd awful gas!

The further out you get, they will become less common, if not non -existent. Thta doesn't mean you're absrobing it - you're just likely eating more varied foods that sort of of emulsify with the food in the common channel. Fat actually becomes sort of a health food for us, as it helps combat constipation, and we need to eat a little more than normies, because fat is needed for many body functions. Also, make sure your fat-soluble vites, A,D, E and K are in dry form. The softgels are oil based, and we don't absorb those at all.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

mrsannie
on 6/25/12 12:54 am
 I am also 2 years out, I rarely get oil slicks anymore, but I do get problems after eating almost any tomato-based product, especially spaghetti sauce.  I LOVE tomatoes and tomato sauce but it bothers me every time!  So it may be the acid in the tomatoes that is causing the problem.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
twodelight
on 6/25/12 1:09 am - Atlanta, GA
 I would agree because I tested this theory a few times and got the same results from eating tomato base foods. I also notice it when I ate Carmel popcorn.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 124 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 665 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views