...eating AND drinking WITH meals

Carmelita
on 7/1/12 2:58 am - Four Corners, NM
 Hey guys...Im curious..since ya'll have a vsg stomach .what are YOUR dietary guidelines ..given by your nut/surg on the eating and drinking w/ meals rule? Do you follow a DS specific diet/guidelines?

Its a huge behavior modification deal for me. I wouldn't do it..for fear I was doing something wrong...yet I eat soups occasionally! I realize I AM physically able to eat and drink w/ meals (soups)...but this mental hang up about doin it even now...has made me question every "VSG specific diet" Ive read..Even  LapSF/Dr. Cirangle (our public VSG forums "sponsor") diet says the same thing.

NO drinking 30 minutes before or after meals. WTF???  Is it because VSG diets are ALL based on RNY / a stoma?  

I remember Diana C. a loooong time ago saying DSrs can eat & drink with meals...as a rule or that its 'physically possible'? 

I'd some feedback cuz I see VSGrs repeatin the same rule over n over....not only post ops in first year but vets years out. So Im comin to youz...since you've lived on the block longer than we have. 

TIA!
MajorMom
on 7/1/12 3:05 am - VA
Sounds exactly like RNY rules. :)  Since you still have your pyloric valve you can drink with food but it will take up valuable real estate that you may need for nutrition. Most, if not all, surgeon's programs stress not drinking with food early out. I don't think they should get all that hung up with DSrs and VSGrs who are further out, IMO.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 7/1/12 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You got RNY instructions for sure.  The VSG is fairly new, so they will give you the same basic instruction sheet that they give every other wls.  

Now, that being said, I did find it difficult the first year to drink much during my meals.   It just filled me up too fast. Today, though, I drink all of the time, during meals and between meals, too, no problem.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 7/1/12 4:21 am
When I was researching WLS, no one was talking about the VSG. I think some surgeons were doing them, but---they just weren't on the radar.

One of the selling points of the DS for me was that it would allow me to drink with meals, and I've done so from the get-go. Keep in mind that when I had my DS, 8.5 years ago, most surgeons made the DS stomach larger than most surgeons do the VSG. Mine started out at 3-5 ounces.

Even so, early out I couldn't drink MUCH with my meals---just didn't have room. I remember when I was on pureed foods I made the mistake of drinking a small glass of tomato juice while I was preparing my food---and I couldn't eat but two bites!

However, since I was about 6 months post-op I drink about as much with my meals as my non-op mom does.
louisamay
on 7/1/12 4:54 am, edited 7/1/12 4:56 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I'm so glad you asked this question!  I've been wondering the same thing.

First--my trick for eating w/o drinking is to always have something moist to eat.  Example--if I eat barbecue brisket for my meal, have some applesauce on the side.  Just a small bit.  Or, simply finish off my meal with a bite of applesauce to bring moisture back to my mouth, plus freshen the taste.

Now that I'm a few weeks out I'm more likely to make it some kind of veg. 

Beyond that--I have not had problems with restrictions so rely on measuring and weighing to determine how much to eat.  I have sometimes forgotten and drank water, as well (usually at a restaurant when they don't ask and just plot the water down in front of me).  And that hasn't bothered me.

So I'm wondering what I'm risking here.  Not developing the ability to know what "enough" is? 

Even if the water washes the food into the intestine, it's still going to digest for full nutrition, isn't it?

NOTE: I ANSWERED BY MISTAKE--I'M A SLEEVER!  SORRY!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

MajorMom
on 7/1/12 5:17 am - VA
It's ok, glad you answered. :)  
Since you have your pyloric valve and no intestinal rerouting, you don't have to worry as much about washing nutrients through your system. If you want to follow some rules that work for you, that's ok too.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

louisamay
on 7/1/12 6:35 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Thanks.  I don't know anything about the DS so was worried I butted in where I wasn't needed.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

southernlady5464
on 7/1/12 5:37 am
Sleever's and DS'rs have the sleeve in common...we can drink with a meal but it does take up space. One reason I did NOT want the RNY, I have to have something to drink with mine...even if it's just a sip.

The rule about not drinking with a meal is RNY based not DS or VSG based. The RNY does not have the pylorus which is nature's way of keeping things from being "washed" thru.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

southernlady5464
on 7/1/12 5:40 am
My nut said no drinking...but she was spouting RNY rules...we have a pylorus...it's nature's way of keeping things from being washed thru...

I remember Diana C. a loooong time ago saying DSrs can eat & drink with meals...as a rule or that its 'physically possible'?

She was correct, you CAN as a DS'er and as a Sleever!.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

beemerbeeper
on 7/1/12 1:40 pm - AL
My question would be whet other bad/wrong advice have you been given?
One size fits all advice scares me. You do not have a RnY. Hang out with people who are living successfully with YOUR surgery type.

Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views