Has anyone advocated for DS after they are on the RNY pathway?

gaiamist
on 7/11/12 12:44 am - Windsor, Canada
Has anyone advocated for DS after they are on the RNY pathway?
I have an appointment with Dr. Jackson at TWH on August 24th. This appointment is for RNY, obviously.
However, after a good deal of research I really believe DS is my best option. I have a few concerns. If I get a no for DS have I jeopardized my chances for RNY? I ask that because various posts have referred to needing to prove that RNY is not an option in order to have the DS. I do not want RNY ruled out. However, I am Type 2 Diabetic and do not want it to resurface. I have several comorbidities and DS advocates look for that. I am not a high BMI (42 I think). I also have arthritis and may have to have knee surgery after some weight loss. A major factor in my history is always being hungry. I was concerned to discover this would return with RNY. However, as I understand, DS is much more effective in this respect. I also have a situation where most of my teeth don't meet (I have braces at 60!) If I end up with RNY I somehow manage the food getting small enough but I understand that DS is not so drastic the times I could get it wrong.
Should I be trying to be redirected to Hamilton before my appointment or wait until I see Dr. Jackson? If I bring this up with Dr. Jackson will he be in a position to discuss DS and decide with/for me or will he react because his specialty is RNY.
I know DS is not common in Ontario and the Windsor Centre does not even bring it up (at least they didn't with me). I have considered it as an option based on my own research.
I realize this is a long post but any input would be appreciated.
Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
clpeltz
on 7/11/12 1:04 am
You HAVE to meet with a surgeon who does the DS.  Your surgeon, if he does not, will NOT tell you that DS is better for you.  He will most likely spout a bunch of lies about the procedure to get you to stay with the RNY.  If you are really interested in the DS, go to a vetted DS surgeon to get the facts.  Go to dsfacts.com for a list of vetted DS surgeons.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

gaiamist
on 7/11/12 1:13 am - Windsor, Canada
Thanks. The only vetted surgeon I have available is Dr Huong (sp?) in Hamilton. Your reply is something I have also been thinking. Now I have to figure out how to get my file to Hamilton.
larra
on 7/11/12 1:16 am - bay area, CA
I don't know exactly how the system works in your province - and of course I don't know this particular surgeon and how he would respond to someone requesting an operation he doesn't do. He might be biased against the DS, he might not be. He might still be willing to work with you if you can't get a DS, or maybe not.

I think your best bet is to ask about him, and the system, on the Ontario forum. But I also think it would be best to start with Dr. Hong, the only DS surgeon in your province, if at all possible.

Larra
* Gail R *
on 7/11/12 4:47 am - SF Bay Area, CA
You probably already are aware that many of the medications for pain relief with arthritis cannot be taken with the RNY. The DS allows you a greater variety of pain management. Good Luck!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

gaiamist
on 7/11/12 4:53 am, edited 7/11/12 4:54 am - Windsor, Canada
Yes, that is true. I would have focused on DS from the beginning if the Windsor Regional Centre had included it in our discussions. I have been at this for two years and only began researching the DS a short time ago. I had been focusing on how to make RNY work for me because I saw it as my only choice.
Thanks for the input and congratulations on your own success.
Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
gaiamist
on 7/12/12 4:38 am - Windsor, Canada
2Bblessed
on 7/11/12 11:30 pm
I had DS july 27 2010.  My weight was 336 and now 140. Total Loss 196 lbs.  I eat what normal people do. Not as much and very satisfied.  I try to stay away from white flour bread, bagels etc.  I eat my protein as directed and take my calcium and vitamins.  My only regret is that I didnt do it sooner.  I was looking into RNY before then I consulted with a friend who actually went to Brazil and had the DS.  She asked, "do you like bacon" I said love it.  She said,"with this surgery, it slides right through you".  That was the day I was on the quest to have the DS. My surgeon Is Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale Ca.  I live in Winter Park, Colorado.  My insurance did approve and covered the surgery.  I flew to California Dr. K suggests you stay in the area.  I stayed 3 weeks my mom lives in Ca.

I know 2 people in our small town area that have had RNY and 3 people who have lap band each regaining weight.  This was the main reason I chose the DS.
Tracy
gaiamist
on 7/12/12 4:36 am - Windsor, Canada
Your weight pre-op is very similar to mine. It's encouraging to read about what you have been able to do. Your current weight is also where I would like to be. Everything I read about the DS confirms that it is the surgery that would be best for me. Thanks for your feedback, and congratulations on your success.
kiki2012
on 9/4/12 3:42 am - Canada

Hi, just wondering what happened with the DS vs RNY situation? Asking as we are in same situation with TWH, did my own research and looking at the DS, left vm at hospital but no one has called me back as yet!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views