Revision to DS with Dr. Juarez

Michele1az
on 7/17/12 3:38 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
Hi! I had been looking to revise from band to sleeve for the last year, but now I think my insurance may cover it, I am thinking about DS with Dr. Juarez in Arizona. Is this a good idea? I hear great things about him and he is the only one in AZ to do DS surgery. I am concerned that the sleeve will not work like the band, so I need the best results.

Any advice is appreciated.

Michele in AZ

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

Deej247
on 7/17/12 3:53 am - Litchfield Park, AZ
Dr Juarez is a newby in the DS picture.  He just did his first DS in January 2012.  He is not seasoned at all.  However Dr Eric Schlesinger at Tempe St Lukes has been doing the DS for many years.  I had my DS done by Dr Schlesinger and have had no complications at all.  He would be my first choice.  Dr Juarez doesn't have the experience.
Donalda in AZ
Virgo64
on 7/17/12 2:36 pm
You really do need to get on the private FB page that Major Mom can add you to and talk to Lauri Proffitt Vidal.  She just had an absolutely horrible experience at St. Luke's recently and she could give you some really great feedback.  Not sure about how she feels about Dr. Juarez, but I'm sure she can give you info on him too.   

Her situation is related to a post surgery issue, but she ended up at Mayo and they are helping her with her problems as well as helping her connect with others in the local DS community. 
MajorMom
on 7/17/12 5:45 am - VA
Actually, neither of the AZ surgeons have a good reputation. If you're interested in asking some of his most recent patients their experience, they're on a private Facebook group. Let me know and I'll give you the link.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Michele1az
on 7/17/12 7:45 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
Yes. I would like to hear more from them. Thank you.

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

lookthrshegos
on 7/18/12 8:29 am - Huntland, TN
can I get an invite to the fb page please?

larra
on 7/17/12 8:42 am - bay area, CA
Michele, esp for a revision, these AZ guys are to be avoided. I think your idea about getting the DS is sound, now you just need to get yourself to the right surgeon - someone with a solid reputation and lots of DS and revision experience. You will need to travel, but it will be worth it.

Larra
halblingefrau
on 7/17/12 9:28 am, edited 7/17/12 9:28 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Michele, you might try looking up Dr. Berger here in Flagstaff.   He is a newbie to the DS world so his reputation does not have a long history.  HOWEVER I have heard lots of horrible things about the two DS surgeons in Phoenix, Dr. Juarez in particular. 

I had my DS with Dr. Berger and I think he was amazing.  I have had zero complications (unless you count a wayword drain that migrated out of place, but that was removed the first week post op).  One thing I can tell you is that the Bariatric Clinic up here in Flag have no experience with DS maintenance.  I am the first one they've had actually, but both my surgeon and my bariatric doc were comfortable with me having the procedure because they both know how involved and proactive I am in my own health. 

There are quite a few folks on this board that will tell you to run, not walk, away from newbie surgeons and inexperienced clinics.  And they have very sound advice.  I researched a lot and asked a LOT of questions, and ultimately I'm very happy with my choice.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions you have about my expriences.

Crazeru
on 7/17/12 10:23 am
There is a big difference between a virgin DS and a revision to a DS from either RNY or band.

Look at dsfacts.com for revision DS surgeons. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

zuzupetals2u2
on 7/20/12 4:12 pm - Sedona, AZ
 a revision is a highly specialized complicated surgery you want only a very experienced surgeon doing and neither you mentioned are. PLease see the recommended list at DSFACTS.COM for the vetted list of surgeons. Be prepared to travel for this (to CA probably) but your life is worth it.

Feel free to contact me- I am in AZ also.

Kristi
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 149 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views