Got a longer (250cm) common channel ?

Carmelita
on 10/2/12 11:41 pm, edited 10/3/12 12:01 am - Four Corners, NM

Hi guys!
curious...anyone out there with a LONGER common channel? ~250cm.
I read a recently published article on duodenoileal bypass in VSG longer common channel. Less protein malabsorbtion, less bms ...with greater than 95% EWL.. not the 86% of stand alone VSG.

I also read an article years ago by a DS surgeon .. Husted (?) maybe ...doing somethin similar (?) callin it Vergito (?) or sumthin like that.

IF ya have a longer common channel ...do you find this is true...less protein malnutrition issues, less bms?

I think this other surgery (longer common channel) may be more attractive in VSG revision ...what do y'all think?

Valerie G.
on 10/3/12 4:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Uhhhhhh NO 
I know folks with a 150cm cc who never made it to goal.  Vergito is experimental by only one doc, the stomach is different from a VSG,  and with the way he hops from place to place every couple of years, you may  find yourself without support and no other doc will touch you.  I highly recommend you commit to the tried and true or walk away altogether.  Those stats are not peer-reviewed

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

k9ophile
on 10/3/12 4:52 am
What Val said.  Vergito is a no-go to anyone with more than two working brain cells.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Carmelita
on 10/4/12 12:13 am - Four Corners, NM
 The stats I quoted above w/ 250cm common channel ARE peer-reviewed...they're PUBLISHED!

If I remember ...I might have posted here about the Vergito before ..when I first read of it...and I think it was Diana C my beloved archnemesis ,-) basically sayin it was a flaky concept too...

for some reason when I read that article on duodenolieal bypass in VSG ...I thought of Vergito hence all the (?)s....but more than likely way off base ..so wud else is new HA! 

Thanks for your input Val

Valerie G.
on 10/4/12 12:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I'm talking Vergito stats.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 10/4/12 3:52 am
Val-

Vergito is a new one on me!  Guess I've been buried so deep into Chemistry I haven't been keeping up.  What is it?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

2renee
on 10/3/12 6:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
I asked Dr. Gagner if a longer chanel would lessen the odds of protein and vitamin deficiencies and he said no.  To get the results we are looking for, the 100 cm is the way to go.
LadyLucky
on 10/3/12 1:17 pm - KS
My surgeon told me they found that a 100 cm on patients with my BMI ( were losing too much weight.  Not all patients, but quite a few.  So they adjusted their standard to 150 cm (again, for patients around my BMI) and found that they still lost 90-95% EWL. 

My sister had the DS with 120 cm and lost too much weight.  They increased her carbs, etc. to help her gain back about 15 pounds.  My surgeon even had some patients that needed feeding tubes to help them gain.  Everyone is different though so this is just what I've been told.  I will be happy with 150 cm and a 38-40 french stomach.  But then again, I like a little curve and don't want to be super skinny, just healthy.  I guess if I wanted to be 115 pounds, I would push for a shorter CC.

I do think the length of the CC is related to total loss and possibly bowel movements, but that's just my opinion.

I'll be following this post to see what everyone thinks too. Thanks for posting.
JazzyOne9254
on 10/4/12 3:55 am, edited 10/4/12 3:59 am

I wish increasing *my* carbs would put the brakes on for me!  It doesn't seem to work very well. Lots of effort involved, in terms of getting enough in to stabilize.

I never thought the day would come when I would say  I am *so* sick of eating! ;-)

I certianly don't want to go TPN, so I'm doing everything I can to avoid that!

JazzyOne9254
on 10/3/12 11:37 pm, edited 10/4/12 3:56 am

I have a 75cm CC, and according to my surgeon , it is the shortest "normal" CC length.  I asked for shorter, but she doesn't doo them any more due to too many revisions.  I just lucked out and measured that way.

It's a lot of work staying healthy, and I'm still trying to put brakes on this train!  I even take Creon to help absorption and was warned it would probably make me gain, but it didn't!

To my understanding, the shorter the common channel, the more bowel issues there will be.  Most of the group from my hosptial has CC's from 100cm and up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 130 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views