special prep for colonoscopy?

marilyn A.
on 10/19/12 11:46 pm - willoughby, OH
DS on 03/17/94
Do we need a special prep for colonoscopy? Had one last week with standard ducolax and half-litely. MD wants another because clean-out was not sufficient . She recommended 2 days of clear liquids for next round. Anyone have experience with this?
thanks!
A. C
on 10/20/12 12:25 am
I have had many colonoscopies.  The best that I've found is this product below.  Your Dr will have to write an RX for it, it's not like the GoLightly or the pills (it's the easiest prep out there).  I would be concerned about your GI telling you to go on a round of clear liquid's and not doing a prep of any kind.  I would question that!

Suprep Bowel Prep Kit (sodium sulfate, potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate) oral solution concentrate for cleansing of the colon in preparation for colonoscopy in adults.

The osmotic laxative will be marketed by Braintree Laboratories, Inc.

Suprep is administered as a split-dose oral regimen over two days. The Suprep Bowel Prep Kit contains two bottles each containing concentrated solution which must be diluted prior to use. The first dose is taken the evening before the colonoscopy and the second the following morning. Each dose must be followed with additional water in the hour post dose.

Suprep should not be used in patients who are allergic to any of the product ingredients, or patients with gastrointestinal obstruction, bowel perforation, gastric retention or ileus.

Suprep should be used with caution in patients who are at risk of fluid and electrolyte abnormalities, arrhythmias, seizures and renal impairment. Suprep should also be used with caution in patients with renal insufficiency and in patients at risk for aspiration.

In clinical trials, the most common adverse events were overall discomfort, abdominal fullness, nausea, abdominal cramping, and vomiting and affected 3% or more of the trial participants.

Each Suprep Bowel Prep Kit contains two 6 oz bottles of oral solution and a 19 oz mixing container with a 16 oz fill line.
teachmid
on 10/20/12 3:16 am - OKC, OK
I did a Miralax and ducalox prep which was not bad at all.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views