Chafing between stomach and groin skin folks

route66hello
on 10/24/12 11:52 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hello,

In the last few months I am having terrible trouble with chafing between my tummy which hangs down over my groin area. In the skin fold it gets terribly red and at time stings and hurts. I am going to see my PCP next week and wondered if anyone has a prescription ointment which works for them. Or any general tips for this problem.

I love to be in the pool but have been avoiding it because of this problem.

I have been using Gold Bond Powder mostly and keeping it very dry. I shower everyday and use the shower to clean under there and then gently pat it dry.

After the complications I had with my RNY to DS conversion there is going to be no plastic surgery in my immediate future. Also I am at 280 lbs so hope to lose more weight. I am going to be this way for sometime at least.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Terri
celticfaery
on 10/24/12 10:59 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
I've always had issues with this too.  Best thing I found for it is the liquid ivory soap body wash.  I hear other people talk about gold bond powder too, but I haven't tried that yet.

Does the pool make it worse for you?  I always found that during the summer, being in the pool dried it out easier...  maybe from the chlorine killing off the yeast???

Hope it clears up!!!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

rjkroeger
on 10/20/14 8:38 am - Kansas City, MO

www.squeakycheeks.com helps with chafing 

larra
on 10/25/12 12:54 am - bay area, CA
Make sure your doctor takes pictures. It won't help right now, but it may help get plastics paid for down the line.

For now, keep clean and dry, ask doc if it's a fungal infection and if so get script for some antifungal, and put clean, dry soft cotton fabric in the fold. Something like men's T-shirt fabric. Avoid use of harsh soaps.

If these measures don't work and your pcp doesn't know what else to try, request a referral to a dermatologist.

Larra
puppysweets1
on 10/25/12 1:47 am - CA
Set your hair blow drier to low and dry your skin in the folds and under your belly drape before powdering.  Try a soft cloth like a piece of an old t-shirt in the folds to prevent the skin to skin contact.  Like Larra said, get it documented by your doctor.  Take pictures of the rash yourself when it is bad and ask your doctor to add them to your medical record.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

Stephanie M.
on 10/25/12 4:42 am
 Feminine hygiene pads work too.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Jensch
on 10/25/12 2:31 am - San Francisco, CA
DS on 12/05/12
I use an antifungal cream and it usually feels better almost immediatly. I konw that it sounds weird to put an athletes foot cream under your belly but it works!
Wolverine35
on 6/26/17 7:10 pm
On October 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM Pacific Time, Jensch wrote:
I use an antifungal cream and it usually feels better almost immediatly. I konw that it sounds weird to put an athletes foot cream under your belly but it works!

That's what I do, kills the bacteria almost immediately! Great thing to do!!

Stephanie M.
on 10/25/12 4:41 am
 Mupirocin is the antibiotic ointment my doctor prescribed.  It works well to heal the area.  Once it is healed, thorough drying and gold bond powder will help.  I also discovered that the bacteria or fungus can be harbored in the clothing you wear, underwear can come in contact, so washing those items in ho****er + drying on high heat will insure you don't reinfect the area.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Valerie G.
on 10/25/12 10:57 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

After you clean the area, apply atheletes foot (or jock itch) cream over the area, for this is a fungal issue caused by trapped moisture, just like atheletes foot or jock itch.  Tuck a paper towel in between the folds to absorb moisture and go about your day. Mine was just about gone by day 3 of this regimen.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views