Post Op diet guidelines?

EmmaJane
on 11/13/12 8:19 am - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12

I am 1 week post op and struggling w/ my surgeon’s diet instructions.

He is a good “cutter”, but I question the nutritional information provided. Does anyone know if any reputable resources or nutritionists out there that are DS specific?

In short, I nutritionally feel like hell and I’m questioning the prescribed diet. I have stayed on track, but find my every waking moment scouring the net for better DS specific diet.

Surgeon’s Diet for all surgery patients regardless of type
1 week post op – clear liquid no protein
Weeks 2 -4 post op – clear liquids (150 grams protein powder for DS)
Week 5-6 Pureed Food (150 grams protein powder for DS)
Week 7 – 8 Soft Foods (150 grams protein powder for DS)
Week 9 –Regular Foods (150 grams protein powder for DS)

No tea until week 2
No meat until week 9
No milk or cream ever

If I just need to shut up and put up, then tell me!

Thanks

Duodenal Switch 11/6/12 by Dr. Srikanth

MLFORAN7
on 11/13/12 9:08 am - Roslyn, PA
Hello,
Hang in there! It gets easier as the weeks go by. I used my blender and put what I wanted to eat whole, but made it babyfood texture. I am 2 years out and lost 192 lbs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has truly changed my life and being thin is so different you will never forget you were once fat,but my quailty of life has greatly changed for the better!
JazzyOne9254
on 11/13/12 10:06 am, edited 11/13/12 10:08 am

EmmaJane -

First of all, since our're just out of surgery, the most important thing is to stay well hydrated.  Get all your fluids in.  Sip on water, sugar-free Gatorade, sugar-free kool-aid, whatever it takes to get your fluids in.  Do *not* drink carbonated beverages (soda pop).  There may come a time when you can, but not until you are good and healed.

In my neck of the woods, there is no such thing as a Bariatric Registered Dietitian. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetics Association) doesn't even have certification  for the specialty,  which is why, at middle age, I decided to go back to college to become one.  The plus to WLS clients will be that I am also a DSer.   Never trust a NUT           ( dietitian/nutritionist) unless you know that he/she is schooled in your surgery type.  To be fair, my hospital's program hands out surgery-specific food plans in 1/2  inch binders to it's DS patients, that map out the re-feeding plan over the course of a year.  Contrast that to the 3 inch binder RNY's at the same hospital get. 

I understand all the surgeries, because I had to research them all to make my choice.  I had to learn DS nutrition in order to take care of myself.  Even the RD's at my hospital's program don't get DS nutrition. They have a "one plan fits all" approach, and just assume that everyone who walks in the door is a RNY. To their credit, they have gotten better, I think in large part because my surgeon's office is on the second floor, right above the Bariatric Center, and her patients complain LOUDLY about DS nutritional counseling. Case in point:    My first post op visit I was counseled to use skim milk and non-fat everything, which is damn near deadly to a DSer! Plus, almost all DSers are lactose intolerant, immediately post-op, I was going into surgery, and skim milk contains more lactose (milk sugar) than whole milk.  Just last year, when I went for a surgeon visit, and the dietitian saw that I was eating around 300g of protein daily, she said "you're going to kill your kidneys!", and at that point, I explained DS malabsorption reduces the 300g by around 50- 60%...just about right for a DS daily protein intake.  She had a "deer in the headlights" look on her face!  I only have 18 more months of my surgeon's 5 year follow up to go through with the NUTS.

In terms of DS nutrition, the big rule is protein FIRST!  Don't be afraid of a well-marbled steak once you're cleared for solid foods...it's health food for you now.  I explain to my sister, who studied nutrition in college, that vegetables are mostly garnishes for me now, and she *still* doesn't  get it! 

The closest thing I can tell you to describe the DS style of eating is the Atkins plan.  You also need to be taking larger than normal doses of supplements to stay healthy.  The 4 majors for me are:  4 Centrum Type multivitamins daily (no gummies!), 8-Calcium Citrate pills daily(2400mg), 1-2 B12 injections monthly(1000mcg per shot -you can also do daily sublingual tablets), 100mg Thiamin (B-1) weekly.  I also take dry A(25000 IU), dry D(50,000 IU)   dry E(800 IU) and dry K-1 (2500mcg= 4 1/2 tablets) I also take 5,000mcg  dry K-2 ( 1 tablet) as well as B-100 complex, Zinc, etc. The ADEK's must be dry, and not the little oil or gel filled caplets, as DSer's only absorb 20% of any lipids (fats) we ingest, so the oil filled capsules would be like taking nothing, those oil-suspended vites would pass right on through!

When I was a newbie,  I made the investment in Vitalady's DS regimen, then shopped around for the best price on all the vites and minerals in the plan.  I still use a few select items of hers, but I saved a ton of money finding my own sources.

My first three months post op were my worst, but after that, good times!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Valerie G.
on 11/13/12 10:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your doc is extremely conservative.  I can't imagine that long on liquids, especially since I was eating soft foods before I even left the hospital.  I did a day on clear liquid and a day on full liquid, then told to eat what I feel like eating, yielding to softer choices for a bit.  If something didn't set well, then back off of it for a few weeks and try again.  I'm glad to see he's aggressive with protein, however all powder??? ewwww...

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 11/13/12 11:28 am

"No milk or cream ever"? What sort of fairy-tale is this guy living in???

I had 2 weeks of pureed foods---anything that I chose to puree, including meat. Then I had two weeks of 'soft' foods, defined as anything easily mashed with a fork. I didn't have to ma**** with a fork, it just had to be mash-able. The starting at week five I could eat anything I chose.

mharroun
on 11/13/12 12:07 pm - Forest Hills, NY
DS on 11/06/12

I thought i had it hard lol..

im stuck on full liquid for 2-3 weeks with a list of approves protien (90g) powders and drinks  (till doctor approves purees)

then a week or two of purees..

then what i can keep down..

No restrictions on things like tea or coffee other then being told to be weary of caffeen.

I just finished my first week too I know how you feel... I miss having anything I can chew.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views