vitamins..

tattoobabe
on 11/17/12 8:37 pm - MI

is there a list of the type of vitamins that a ds person would need to consume.

A. C
on 11/17/12 9:10 pm, edited 11/17/12 9:16 pm

Vitalady.com is the best guide for those of us who are DS'rs.  We have to take a lot!  Dry A, E, & K are the most important.  I would say I average 16-20 pills a day.  I need to add some as well.  It's a life long committment!

bugirll
on 11/17/12 10:08 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4103619/VitaLadys-Jan-2 010-DS-Plan-amp-Shopping-List-OH-Formatting/

I got all my labs drawn months before my surgery and supplemented accordingly until surgery (for instance my vit D sucked).  Then after surgery I upped it to VL plan.  Then 3 months after surgery I had labs drawn again and tweaked accordingly.  Then 6 month after, labs again and tweak.  That is the cycle-labs, tweak, labs , tweak etc. for life.  My surgeon recommends labs at 3,6,12 months then yearly.  If I have a major tweak I will request labs more often in the future.  In addition to VL plan, I take a probiotic and a LOT of vit K1 and K2 and my PTH rocks!

Most surgeons offices vitamin recommendations are very in adequate.

HTH

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
A. C
on 11/17/12 10:27 pm

Question:  What brand of Vit K1 & K2 do you take?  What are your levels?  My first labs show mine at .19.  I need to up my Vit K a bit.

bugirll
on 11/17/12 11:42 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Labs-Vitamin-K-2-Capsules/dp/B 003B3P4I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353252531&sr=8-1&keywords= vit+k+5mg

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Life-Phylloquinone-Vegetarian- Capsules/dp/B000UVSRWC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13532526 06&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=vit+k1+1000

I take one of each of these per day.  I take each separately with a batch of calcium hydroxyapatite. I do not get my vit K drawn.  That may be a mistake.  From what I understand, we do not hold onto vit K very well despite being fat sol. Also, from what I understand, more vit k does not =hypercoagulation.  I do not like to spout this stuff without evidence to show you at the time as I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of vets.  So if someone wants to chime in that would be great. And if I am wrong, please correct me.  What I do know is that I trust certain vets more than any doctor I have had. I have followed vets' experience as far as supplementation and I have pretty good labs even by DS standards.  We like them on the normal high side most of the time (PTH you want low).  Because fixing a low value can be difficult.

A. C
on 11/18/12 1:21 am

Thank You.

I have the Carlson in my shopping bag.  Too funny!  Why do you take them with the Calcium Hydroxyapatite?  I take Upcal which is citrate. 

bugirll
on 11/18/12 1:28 am, edited 11/18/12 1:29 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

Why do I take Hydroxyapatite calcium? or why do I take vit K with calcium?

I will answer both.  Vit K helps calcium stick together in the bones.  I take hydroxyapatite because it is very bioavailable.  I have no idea if taking vit K and calcium at the same time helps more than taking them separately.  Maybe somebody else knows.

A. C
on 11/18/12 1:54 am

I meant does Vit K need the calcium hydroxyapatite to absorb properly? 

Then this leads to another question.  Is it better than citrate?  I was under the understanding the Citrate is what we always need to get our calcium.

bugirll
on 11/18/12 2:47 am, edited 11/19/12 1:05 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

No, vit K does not need the calcium.  The calcium needs the vit K.  From what I understand, yes, hydroxyapatite is more bioavailable than citrate. If I am wrong, someone chime in.  But citrate is still a great choice. 

I take this

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Strength-Capsules-240-Count/ dp/B000PIA07A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353264274&sr=8-1&keywo rds=now+bone+strength

I take 1000mg of hydroxyapatite and 1000mg of citrate a day (in divided doses, of course).  Edited to add-My goal is to work up to a total of 3000mg of calcium a day between the two.

puppysweets1
on 11/18/12 2:07 pm - CA
On November 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, bugirll wrote:

No, vit K does not need the calcium.  The calcium needs the vit K.  From what I understand, yes, hydroxyapatite is more bioavailable than citrate. If I am wrong, someone chime in.  But citrate is still a great choice. 

I take this

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Strength-Capsules-240-Count/ dp/B000PIA07A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353264274&sr=8-1&keywo rds=now+bone+strength

I take 1000mg of hydroxyapatite and 1000mg of citrate a day (in divided doses, of course). 

Checked out the link.  How many of these do you take a day?  The product description indicates that the serving size of SIX pills gives you 4grams (4000mg) of the hydroxyapatite. That means each tablet or capsule would contain 667mg of microcrystalline hydroxyapatite so 2 of them would be 1333 mg.

• Serving Size: 6 Capsules
  • Servings Per Container: 40
  • Product Description

Package Quantity: 1 Mycrocrystalline Hydroxyapatite (MCHA) is a natural compound that makes up the crystalline matrix of bone and teeth, and is the substance that gives them their rigidity. MCHA is a source of highly absorbable Calcium and Phosphorus, which are the major mineral components of bone. NOW® Bone Strength™ is a comprehensive bone support product providing 4 g (4,000 mg) of MCHA. It also contains Magnesium and Trace Minerals, as well as Vitamins C, D and K to aid in the synthesis and maintenance of bone tissue.
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 101 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 651 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views