hi! I'm a nwby too. thought I'd introduce myself

3horse
on 11/26/12 9:00 am
I've been reading the post and have commented a few times. I am hoping to be approved for the DS. My final appt with the nutritionist is Dec 4th. I have restig tachycardia,artheitis, and I just got the results of my sleep apnea test today. I have severe sleep apnea. I'm shocked. I never would have dreamed! I was told that I had 114 breaths that took me ten seconds to take! Shocking. Now im afraid to go to sleep. Anyway, I guess that means they should approve the DS. I had the lapband in 07. I lost 60pds and felt really goid. Then I developed gerd. I had to have the band loosened and started gaining weight. I vomited everyday for years. Terrible thing that lapband. Maybe some lucky peopke dont have tjose problems. Anyway, I'm 54 , 220lbs. Im ready to get this weight off once and for all. Want to be healthy again!
usandall
on 11/26/12 10:28 am

Welcome we spoke before as I am also a light wt.  As a light wt you may not feel total support just stay positive take what helps and let what ever is not helpful go in one ear and out the other.  I do hope you will be approved and if not ask why and fulfill what ever it is you need to be approved for the DS.  As a prior lap band failure I swear this is the best procedure at least for me any way.  The only major draw back which I have shared with you before is the amount of vit you need to take and please understand that is for a life time.  I would have agreed to any thing prior to surgery as I just wanted the wt off now it is a pain and some times I wish I did not have to take them but that is what I signed up for and I have committed to it for the rest of my life.

It was nice getting to know you over the weekend and I look forward to sharing in the future. 

The easiest way I have found to do the vit is through vitalady she has them packed for the beginning ds'er which made life easy for me.  If I am not mistaken your hubby had the procedure a couple of years ago which makes me cringe at the cost of vit x 2 people..............  I wish you the very best of luck on your journey.

Donna

3horse
on 11/26/12 11:01 am
Oh gosh that would be horrible not to b supported. With my heart oroblems and the sleep apnea I feel like I will die if I dont get tjis wright off. Just like everyone else on this board, I cannot get the weight off. I have tried for twenty years. Its funny to b called a light weight. I am obese. So glad to b on this board and happy to have new friends that can relate!
usandall
on 11/26/12 11:14 am

I completely understand and hope you never experience it however if you do just dismiss it.  Those who are hostile are for the most part blocked on this site.  The fact is if any one is not supportive of your choices which have been researched and an educated choice then they are the people you need in your life through this journey.  I promise between this site and facebook you will get all the support you need. 

usandall
on 11/26/12 11:15 am

oops do not need in your life

usandall
on 11/26/12 11:49 am

The one thing I did follow was the doc suggested on dsfacts especially since I wient out of the USA i wanted a surgeon I could trust. 

Donna

preachermomma37
on 11/26/12 12:59 pm - TN

Welcome, I applaud you for making the decision to change your life. Lite weight or heavy weight we got your back. Hang in there.

Valerie G.
on 11/26/12 9:23 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Welcome!  You will find many Lapband revisions out here.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NYC_mom
on 11/26/12 10:50 pm

Hi 3horse!!!

Welcome Welcome :)  I also had the lapband in 2010 and recently had a revision for a DS in April '12.  I was considered a light wt as well, weighing in at 240 lbs. I was approved quickly without having co-morbidities as you do with the sleep apnea (so sorry about that dear).  

There is one important thing you need to know about getting the Duodenal Switch........  IT WILL BE THE BEST THING YOU EVER DO FOR YOURSELF!!!  I want to beat myself up for getting the lapband and not going straight for the DS, I mean the lapband works for many other people, just not the right tool for me.   The first couple of weeks were pretty tough for me as far as healing & eating goes, but worth it.  It's been 7 months now since my surgery in April, Surgery weight 240 lbs and today I am 178 lbs = 62 lbs without trying or exercising (unfortunately unable to do much but walk due to uncontrollable cir****tances).  I lost the first 30 pretty fast then it slowed down, I was told that it happens this way with the light wts since they don't have that much to lose.  I FEEL FANTASTIC!!!!  And you will too :)

Please feel free to contact me for any questions you have :)

Kindest,

Sara

3horse
on 11/26/12 11:38 pm
Hi ! I want to thank you all for welcoming me! I am very excited! Yes, I've thiught many times over the years that I had chosen the wrong surgery. It took me years to b able to admit that. I was determined to make the lap band work. Stubborn. I finally got it. It failed me, I didn't fail it. No need to feel shame. Even though I am in my fifties and it is late to begin this surgery journey again. I want to feel good and look good again. I was sttingon my bed this morning and I didnt even have the energy to try and bend over to try and slather lotion on my body. It would be so nice to be able to do that simple act easily once again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 287 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 759 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views