Got my first set of labs back! Question on Iron . . .

julanie
on 12/5/12 4:17 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

All normal except Iron and Zinc.  wonderful levels on everything, especially the ADEK.  And all the other "stuff".  Wasn't surprised to find out my iron was low, I was told the same thing with both of my pregnancies, so I'm upping the iron.

I know the Iron I take, a chewable from Celebrate with vit C in it is supposed to be absorbed well, but would it help to take it with orange juice as insurance for absorption? 

AND . . . I lost 10lbs from the last visit.  Just over 2 months since surgery and I'm at about 50 lbs lost so far.  I'm a 1/3 of the way there. 

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
Herman
on 12/5/12 10:35 am

I have no idea what type of iron is in the chewables from Celebrate.

But the best absorbed iron for a DS is, Heme Iron, Polysaccharide Iron or Carbonyl Iron. The Heme Iron most use is Proferrin ES or Forte (Rx).

All can be gotten on line except for the Rx.

Also as a DSer you would be better of if you took vitamin C instead of drinking the orangen juice. To many carbs in Oj. Also all that sugar could give you diarrhea, or worse.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
MajorMom
on 12/5/12 6:12 pm - VA

Make sure you get a copy of your labs for yourself and start a spreadsheet to track them and watch for trends. As far as the Celebrate chewable iron, I think it's carbonyl iron and one of the ones that we can absorb. You likely need a lot of it and may want to switch to Vitalady capsules soon. It took a year or so of 300mg of carbonyl iron and 2 Proferrin at bedtime to get all my iron labs up. It's really tough for a DSr to bring iron up, so start now.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein