Have y0u heard this before...

csky20
on 12/25/12 9:13 pm, edited 12/25/12 9:18 pm - Bedford, TX

hey.

i always keep in touch with this nurse at the bariatric office.  she is really sweet and encouraging.  i really like speaking to her, and  she always has answers to all my questions.  last week i had some more questions to ask her.  she told me there is no doubt in her mind that i will loose the weight, and she has never crossed any patient that failed with DS.  one thing that she did say that puzzled me was "The DS will kick in, you just have to be patient.  it has only been 2 months since your surgery. give it time"  what the heck did she mean when she said the "DS will kick in!???"  i didnt think to ask her while i was on the phone, but days later i thought about the conversation we had, and i have been just curious.  of course i will be calling her back about that, but has anyone ever been told that before? does anyone know what she could be talking about?  also i have only lost 16lbs since my surgery. i was feeling discouraged and that was the reason for me calling her in the first place.

Jaiart
on 12/25/12 9:25 pm, edited 12/26/12 5:25 am - MI
Yes, my doctors receptionist said a very similar thing to me. Sometimes I lose less and sometimes I lose more so she also said it may be a slower loss rate which is the YMMV concept that each person is different. She had been correct thus far, I recently saw some people I haven't seen in a month or two and they did a double take and asked if it was me, when I said yes they replied they almost didn't recognize me due to the weightloss. Then another person commented on how much weight I have lost and asked how much, I told her I didn't know because I don't focus on numbers just on feeling better and doing the right thing one day at a time. Trying to encourage her to lose weight without saying lose weight. She's heavy but she's young so... Want her to do it now instead of when she's a old geezer like me, lol. Back to the point which is, it does go slow sometimes and it does kick in later. What I have realized is the DS sets our bodies up for ketosis. Which is why we eat high protein/high fat and low carb. If we eat simple carbs we slow the process down etc... All ketosis / Atkins stuff. It will happen and if we maintain the high protein/ high fat/ low carb we will get there. Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.

MajorMom
on 12/25/12 9:30 pm - VA

Agree. :)

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 12/26/12 12:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Considering I spent a year on WW to lose 21 lbs, I'd say your DS has kicked in already.  Your loss will have times of rapid and stalled phases along the way for sure,. though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

2renee
on 12/26/12 11:18 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

It seems slow when you start but then bam all of a sudden you look back and realize you have lost 75 pounds in 4 and a half months and people around you start stopping you in the halls to say you look fabulous.  It is a bit of a roller coaster ride with some weeks seeing a 5 or 6 pound loss and then the next its a pound and a half but it will happen.  Just keep doing what you are supposed to do and trust in the DS.

Cheers

Renee

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 120 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views