Going on Cruise post surgery

Married2005
on 1/4/13 8:46 am - NJ

I got a question:  If I have surgery in April, do you think? I will be well enough to go on  cruise at the end of July?

PattyL
on 1/4/13 8:57 am

Yes!  Barring complications you should be fine.

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/13 9:12 am

I'm 3 weeks out and I could go on a cruise today.

Married2005
on 1/4/13 9:56 am - NJ

Wow, I love this forum!  Thanks so much for responding.  I wasn't sure about the cruise but I'm going to go for it!

MicheleNJ
on 1/4/13 10:02 am
DS on 04/01/13

I had the same question, I am probably having my surgery in April and we are going to Disney 3rd week of July and am hoping to be able to do the walking, but I think we should both be fine :) Have a great time on your cruise. 

gak
on 1/5/13 12:57 am
Revision on 06/21/13

As long as you do not have complications you should be fine. I have not heard of your doc , where is he ?

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Married2005
on 1/5/13 11:16 am - NJ
He is in NJ.
beemerbeeper
on 1/5/13 2:48 am, edited 1/5/13 2:49 am - AL

I went on a cruise about 3 months out.  I had two episodes of overfilling my tiny tummy and having to run to the restroom to vomit but other than that learning experience I had a blast.  I had already lost so much weight that I was able to do things I could never do before!!! 

The DSers have had two group cruises in the last two years.  We've had vets as well as newbies.  What fun it is to cruise with a group of fellow DSers.  They have to cook extra bacon when we are onboard!!!!!

Edited to add:  who the heck is your surgeon?  Be aware of bait and switch (we've seen it happen).  Have you talked to people who got a DS from him?  Wondering why I've never ever heard of a patient of his.  Just know that the DS is a VERY complicated procedure and requires great skill and experience to avoid complications or even not getting a DS at all.

~Becky

Married2005
on 1/5/13 11:15 am - NJ
I changed from wanting a VSG to DS so my doc is now Dr Greenbaum (same practice). Dr G had a accident so thats why i have to wait until he is back doing surgery.
texasrigdiver
on 1/5/13 2:13 pm - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I was in the Navy for 11 years so I got my share of cruises in. However, none of those cruises were leisurely or very relaxing. And none were with women, so I'm looking forward to doing this with my wife. I did see a lot of stuff though...

I'd like to take my wife on a cruise but the more I research cruises the more I hear about the norovirus and how it incapacitates the entire crew, staff and cruisers. I understand that's a risk and I'm ok with that. Worst case is, we come down with it and are sick for a while. problem is its a pretty violent sickness with alot of diarrhea and vomiting. how does a DS and VSG (my wife is going in for the VSG on Monday) stand up to heavy duty, repeated vomiting and what about the intestinal track dealing with the violent diarrhea, all in a very short time span.

I guess the next question, probably for another post is, how does the stomach flu affect a DS'er?

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views