I ran a half-marathon!!

Lisey
on 1/4/13 10:09 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI

I haven't been very active on here for quite some time now, though I do periodically peek and post :)  For those who know me, I'm happy to say that I continue to be healthy, happy, and above all for me, cancer free!  I started working again, a new & better job, about 3 months ago and at the end of this month, it will have been one year since my last treatment.

I had previously posted about my "story" or journey with moving, a new job, cancer diagnosis, losing the new job, treatment, and ultimately joining The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.  They had given me a $5,000 grant to pay for my COBRA health insurance during and it was important to me to feel that I was contributing back to the organization, and thereby enabling them to help others.  I also needed to feel like I was in control of my life again.

Funny on that note, that feeling is one of the things I CRAVED when looking forward and planning my WLS, except the demon was food and weight.  Huh.

Team in Training helped me to get back into shape again since I really hadn't been able to exercise for well over a year.  I hadn't gained weight, overall, but I was SO out of shape.  I joined in April 2012 and started slowly running.  I had a minor set back 6 weeks in when I lightly sprained an ankle, but after a month off, I was able to very quickly get back to where I had been.

I ran my half-marathon October 14, 2012.  It was a 13.5 mile trek across the hills of San Francisco.  It was an amazing experience.  So many memories and emotions as I ran for close to 3 hours.  Remembering all the years that I couldn't have run that far if my life depended on it, then having obtained a healthy body weight and being in shape with exercise post-DS.  I wasn't there very long before I started being very fatigued and couldn't exercise.  The whole moving away to take a job, the stupid doctors arguing with me that my abnormal lab results and fatigue, etc just MUST be from my WLS, losing the job, having to move in with a family member . . . so very many emotions and memories.

But, while those things were hard, I have such an ABUNDANCE of love, support, and happiness in my life.  Sincerely!!!  I actually got a better full-time job, I've also been able to start teaching part-time at a university, I'm engaged, I can stay where I'm at rent-free so that I can become financially stable again and have a fresh start.  And Team in Training was the perfect symbolic capstone to say, I MADE IT.  I'm healthy, I'm where I've wanted my life to be.  It's fantastic.

Apparently several people in my community called a local magazine to suggest they do a story on me.  The magazine tends to focus on health-related articles featuring inspirational stories.  I'm so privileged and blessed to have had the opportunity to share this with so many people.  And on a purely fun, fun note . . . I got to do a PHOTO SHOOT!  WooHoo!! 

This is a link to the article:

http://www.inspiremag.biz/story/

The picture with my arms up is the inside photo to the story, while the picture on the far right with my shoes across my shoulder is the cover page of the magazine. 

About weight loss, though . . . I have gained a good 20 pounds since ending chemo.  I rather think that a few of those pounds were needed b/c I looked pretty darn skinny, but I would like to lose 10 - 15 pounds.  Definitely at least 10.  I actually GAINED weight while training for my half-marathon.  I snack way too much on candy.  I'm rather selective about eating candy that I don't have GI issues from, but I know I just need to get back to not snacking and I will likely slowly lose the weight.  Perhaps some good, old-fashioned low carbing might be needed, though, b/c that sugar demon surely has a hold of me!!  I'm still a size 10 - 12 and I'm not overly upset at how I look, but feel more comfortable at a 8 - 10 and definitely don't want to continue my bad eating habits & continue to gain weight.  Truthfully, I have been eating this way since about 1 year post-DS, but I think having had undiagnosed cancer for so long & then chemo "falsely" kept my weight lower b/c I started gaining weight immediately following my last chemo treatment. 

Boy, it's good to get that all out in a post on good old OH!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

allegedlylisa
on 1/4/13 11:40 am

What an inspiration you are.  Congratulations on being cancer-free (I'm 3 years cancer-free from ovarian cancer myself), keeping on a healthy path, and a new job.  You're a very strong woman and deserve to be proud of all you've been through.  And you ran a half-marathan to top it all off!!!  That's amazing.  And thank you for sharing your story!

Lisa

Lisey
on 1/4/13 10:51 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Thank you and congratulations on your health as well!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

PattyL
on 1/4/13 3:16 pm

I love your story.  And really what's 10lbs for someone who has done what you have?

Lisey
on 1/4/13 10:52 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

thinlizzie12
on 1/4/13 3:32 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13
What a story you have there. Thank you for sharing. Congrats on you achievements. Running a marathon is a goal of mine...you are such an inspiration keep going!
MajorMom
on 1/4/13 7:19 pm - VA

Hi there, Lisey. It's great to see you posting. I'm so proud of you. (((Lisey))).

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisey
on 1/4/13 10:52 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Hi Gina!  Thank you!  Hugs back :)

gak
on 1/5/13 12:55 am
Revision on 06/21/13

WOO HOO

Congrats Lisey ! Awesome article and I knew you would beat it with time and treatment.  Congrats !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

nightowl
on 1/5/13 7:11 am - Topeka, KS

Thank you for the update, and way to go!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views