Centers of Excellence performing DS?

pippin
on 1/9/13 5:08 am - Baltimore

I just got off the phone with the Bariatric Resource Center through my insurance.  It looks like I meet all the requirements to get my surgery, except that I will need to complete a 6 month supervised diet.

However, they informed me that I will need to have my surgery through a Center of Excellence. I'm having trouble finding a listing of surgeons or hospitals.  I go to this website http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate/bariatric-2/ice/ and can not see any surgeons in the US.  I did locate two in my state, but neither of them performed the DS. 

What even is a center of excellence?  How can I find a surgeon who is experienced with the DS?

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

Jaiart
on 1/9/13 5:28 am - MI

a tertiary or quaternary health care provider that is identified as the most expert and cost efficient and produces the best outcomes. The term often refers to organ transplantation centers. Also called center of quality.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.
Center of Excellence
Academia A hospital or medical center recognized by its peers in the medical community as providing high quality health care in one or more specialties
Tertiary care A hospital designated by Medicare as one for which it will reimburse expenses for a particular procedure--e.g., liver transplantation--based on that center's higher than average rate of success
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
center of excellence
Tertiary care A hospital designated by Medicare as one in which it will reimburse expenses for a particular procedure-eg, liver transplantation, based on that center's higher than average rate of success
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Jaiart
on 1/9/13 5:31 am, edited 1/9/13 5:43 am - MI

from www.dsfacts.com

Apparao N. Vanguri, M.D.

Dr. Apparao N. Vanguri

Specialty   General Surgery  
Secondary Specialty   Weight-Loss/Bariatrics  

Primary Address   8872 Belair Road
    Baltimore, MD 21236
    Directions
Phone   (410) 529-7500
Fax   (410) 529-7510

Board Certification   General Surgery 1981

Medical School   Guntur Medical College (aka Nagajuna University)
Internship   MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
Residency   MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center

Why should you choose Franklin Square Medical Center for bariatric surgery?

Sandra C.
on 1/9/13 6:28 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Johns Hopkins does the D.S. I believe, its' in Baltimore. Check Maryland. Dr. Kemmeter's bariatric group- Grand Health Partners has a "Center of Excellence" emblem on their web site. They meet the criteria determined specifically for their specialty. My husband is a radiologist, he had different requirements to achieve for his group, and received this award this year. The 6 month supervised  diet is a requirement for everyone now, my surgeon told me. I slipped in just before the new rule. 

Traveling for a super surgeon is done often for the D.S. I believe you could do the diet part at one Dr, possibly your PCP, or a medical weight loss program through a hospital, document the time spent and lbs lost,  and travel for surgery for an experienced D.S. surgeon. Having this surgery takes lots of research, but it sure is worth it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Jaiart
on 1/9/13 6:52 am - MI

Hien Tan Nguyen, MD

Back to Search Results Nguyen, Hien Tan, MD Assistant Professor of Surgery Appointment Phone: 410-550-0409 Primary Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Expertise: Bariatric Surgery, Duodenal Switch Procedure, General Surgery, Hernia Repair, Hernias, Incisional Hernia Repair, Inguinal Hernia, Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery, Laparoscopic Gastric Banding, Laparoscopic Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Natural Orifice Surgery, Paraesophageal Hernia, Robotic Surgery, Single Incision Surgery, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Ventral Hernia

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 12:13 am

Hope you aren't pulling this info from OH - just because someone here lists the DS as being performed doesn't mean they actually are (a) doing it or (b) have any experience in it.

Trust me, the OH listings are the last place I'd be looking for a surgeon to perform the DS.

Jaiart
on 1/10/13 1:37 am, edited 1/10/13 1:39 am - MI

That info was straight from John's Hopkins so there!!!

Lol seriously, that was from The apropriate websites of the appropriate medical centers.  Not endorsements simply information gleaned from their sites, I assume the op is wise and will do further research.

I'm actually very good at research, it's my specialty. 

BTW, you saying "trust me" is the same concept as the med center/doctor saying "trust them".

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 2:58 am

Well, considering I've been in the DS community for almost 9 years, living with my DS almost 8, when I see the name of a doctor I've NEVER seen before, I'm going to beg caution.

Whatever.

Jaiart
on 1/10/13 5:39 am - MI
Ah but the point is the op doesn't know you from a hole in the ground, doesn't know if what you say is true or false either. Or know me for that matter so the wise sage will advise caution and research in all undertakings. The wise consumer will excercise due caution and perform due diligence and meet the hired help, ask questions, review background and qualifications, and history. Not meant as an insult in anyway just saying you must qualify your pov if you should like to be seen as the expert that you are with the kind of seniority you have in this area.

southernlady5464
on 1/9/13 7:46 am

You really are not that far from NYC which has a couple of DS surgeons.

One is Dr. Alfons Pomp who did my husband's surgery and his is a COE. I wanted him to do mine but my insurance company did not want me to have mine out of state.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 289 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 761 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views