Can DS channel be customized???

susang
on 1/12/13 7:13 am - CA

Hi all,

I had a VSG 6.5 years ago. I began to gain last year( before  that a pound or two here and there) and now up 35 pounds. I have my part in this but I feel as I did pre surgery and struggle to lose anything, again part my head and part I can eat like I did pre surgery. I am looking into a revision and have heard that the DS can be "customized" ??? In other words I have approx 45 pounds that I could lose would I qualify for a "customized DS" leaving my channel longer/shorter???????? 

Thank you!!!

MsBatt
on 1/12/13 7:18 am

Yes, and no. Yes, in the sense that the various limb lengths can be made any length the surgeons chooses, and no, in the sense that humans are too varied for the surgeon to be able to say "If I make your CC this length, you'll have X% malabsorption and will lose Z pounds."

As for whether you'd "qualify", that's up to your insurance company and your surgeon.

MajorMom
on 1/12/13 7:20 am - VA

I don't know how insurance would handle it but you might be able to talk to a DS surgeon who does customize the  common channel, such as Dr Anthone in Omaha, NE. He may be able to give you some options. www.dsfacts.com should have his contact info. Good luck.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 1/12/13 10:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Only needing 45lbs to lose, I have serious doubts that you'll be approved for a revision, I'm afraid.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

susang
on 1/12/13 10:49 am - CA

Thanks so much for all the responses. I would self pay. I guess my question is .....is it possible to customize the channel, knowing some people have less to lose and some more? sounds like it may be a possibility? I will ask my Dr on Monday when I see him just wanted some of your feedback first!!

MajorMom
on 1/12/13 7:18 pm - VA

There are very few surgeons that know how to do the DS. In CA Cirangle, Kessesian, Rabkin, Crookes and one other...I can't remember his name. These are the only surgeons that will give you true DS info, and even then, Criangle and Crookes are VSG- biased and will try to blame you rather than the surgery.

--gina 

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

susang
on 1/12/13 9:21 pm - CA

Thanks so much..Cirangles group at the time did my vsg and Dr.K is my surgeon in Ca. He did a hernia repair for me after 2 failed repairs at lapsf. I love Dr.k and I know he will give me accurate advice. I am sure I have a big part in my weight gain, but it does seem odd that it changed so much this last year. Even when I watch my food fairly good its a battle to lose. Dr.K put me on thyroid medication as I had a lot of lethargy, weight gain, high cholesterol. The thyroid meds have helped me feel "regulated" re lethargy. The DS is a major surgery if he would even do it but I just dont want to battle this as much for the rest of my life. I see a nut on wed and will join ww. In my heart I just dont think this is all me re weight gain but who knows. Just wish I had the good restriction  again or malabsorbtion component.

MajorMom
on 1/12/13 9:29 pm - VA

That is good to hear. I think the world of Dr K.  Keep us posted.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

susang
on 1/12/13 10:46 pm - CA

Thank you!!! appreciate the advice and response!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 149 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views