Sleeve to DS folks??????????

M. Walker
on 1/31/13 6:26 am
DS on 02/12/13
I will be having my DS on 2/13/13. I was sleeved in 2010 and have lost about half of what I needed to. I am hoping the DS will help me on my journey. Are there very many of you out there that went from the sleeve to a DS?? What were the reasons for you going ahead and having having DS? Mine was just basically used the sleeve to its fullest and then just stopped/maintained. Any complications? Are you happy with your decision? Thanks.

MajorMom
on 1/31/13 7:03 am - VA

I'm not a 2-stepper but I wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery day. Keep us posted.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

M. Walker
on 1/31/13 10:29 pm
DS on 02/12/13
I sure will and thank you for the luck!!!

celticfaery
on 1/31/13 9:50 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I so totally wished I had done the DS when I stopped losing!!!  But I waited until I'd gained back 117 of the 189 I'd lost with the sleeve.  I was sleeved in 2007.  I lost the 189 within the first 2 years and then I could never maintain my lowest weight.  I started out at 425 lbs and got down to 236.  My body quickly fluctuated back up to 250-260 even with insane exercise and less than 1000 calories a day.  Eventually I was injured and couldn't keep the pace anymore and quit exercising.  The weight came on even faster then.  I tried dieting again and again and again...  going back to basics.  Never lost more than a few lbs.  I went to my doctor and had some blood tests done.  I was insulin resistant.  They put me on metformin, but I still didn't see any result.  My metabolism was SHOT from 20 years of extreme yo-yo dieting.  The whole time I just kept thinking I could do it on my own with my sleeve.  But I was kidding myself.  I'd let so many old habits and bad foods back into my diet again, giving them up was like an addict jonsing for their next hit.

Probably back in 2010-2011, I started looking for DS surgeons in Louisiana.  I'd found one about an hour away from me, but I had heard some really bad things about him and chickened out.  Last year, I started researching again.  Had my consult in May 2012 and surgery in October.  I had an excellent experience.  I had no complications.  He removed my gallbladder while he was in there (which was full of stones and sludge).  Recovery went well.  I found that right after surgery I had really good restriction again for probably the first 1.5-2 weeks after (probably from additional abdominal swelling).  With my almost 6 year old matured sleeve, I've had no issues staying hydrated.  I am also able to get 100% of my daily protein intake with diet alone and no shakes (they make me wanna gag!!!).

I'm 16 weeks post-op now and down 60 lbs.  I've lost more than half of what took me 3 years to gain back.  I am ridiculously happy with my decision!  I only wish I'd done it a few years ago when I first started struggling.

You are in a great position!  Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

M. Walker
on 1/31/13 10:34 pm
DS on 02/12/13
Wow - you have no idea what your reply means to me. Your story is exactly what I started to feel. The sleeve worked great for approx 2 years and then those old habits starting slipping back when the weight stopped coming off. I am fortuante that my gain has only been 13 pounds (but that has been within the last 2 months - not good). I feel this is my next turn in this journey. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and am so happy for you that your turn in your journey was the right one too.

Huneypie
on 2/1/13 1:18 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

2-stepper here.  I had a text book recovery.  I'm enjoying the DS diet, OK I miss a couple of this occasionally, but honestly for the most part it's awesome.  I had  great surgeon and I'm very happy (only 6 months out so far).

All the best for an easy recovery Melissa! 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

M. Walker
on 2/1/13 2:44 am
DS on 02/12/13
Thank you so much and good luck in your journey too!

BiscuitNYC
on 2/2/13 12:24 pm - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13

I had my VSG in August 2011, and lost 140, but 130 of that was in the first 9 months.  Then my weight loss just stopped.  Seemed like I was gaining and losing the same 5 lbs over and over.  My surgeon said that was a lot more typical than you'd think.  It was always my surgeon's intention that the VSG was the first step, as I was 507 at my heaviest just prior to my original surgery.  Of course I was hoping that this revision wouldn't be necessary, but I'm resigned to the fact that I need it.  

So I had my DS on Jan 23rd.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

M. Walker
on 2/2/13 1:27 pm
DS on 02/12/13
Thank you for sharing your story. That is me too. Glad to hear your on the right track now.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 281 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 754 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views