I want to lose a few pounds!

Lisey
on 2/23/13 12:55 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

I'm a size 12 now and am pretty much okay with it, though I would prefer being a size 8.  I gained quite a bit this past year!  I would like to lose 15 pounds, perhaps 20, but the goal is really 15.  I gained it because I eat A LOT of sugar every day, but I'm very good about not eating starchy foods because I don't like the bloat, gas, and I just don't crave starchy food like I did before the DS.  I *DO* still crave chocolate & frosting - these are my favorite "sinful" foods.

I want to do this now because I'm getting married in 4 weeks :)  I don't know as I will realistically lose 15 pounds, but I think careful adherence should result in a 10 pound loss.  I probably consume 50 grams of outright sugar everyday, so that's easy to cut out (at least the words on the screen says it's easy).

I'm rather torn over eating atkin's style from actual food or supplementing with protein shakes.  I do have protein powder, but I don't like it that much (I've tried several).  Also, there are carbs in there.  I'm certainly far enough out from surgery (almost 4 years) that my stomach is pretty stretched out & I really don't have a problem getting in enough protein from actual food.

I'm posting this now because I rather foresee needing to get more active in the "DS-world" to get back into the DS way of eating.  I also want/ need to get back into exercising.  I had actually run a half-marathon last October as a personal goal, but I've only run 3 times since then.  It coincided with working full & part-time and I'm away from home 65 hours/week so it really is hard to fit in.  But, a wedding sure is good motivation to get my butt back in gear!!

Think I can make that 15 pound goal in 4 weeks???

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Lyss Remaly
on 2/23/13 1:10 pm - Wheeling, IL

CONGRATS ON THE WEDDING!!!!! 

When I hit a weight loss plateau I started introducing more "clean" foods into my diet.  I eat a clean/unprocessed diet and since I started over a month ago I don't crave the sweets like I used to.  If I do have a sweet tooth I will have a few strawberries or blueberries and the craving is GONE.  Eating clean has been AMAZING! 

In terms of exercise we have to MAKE the time to exercise.  I would suggest a morning circuit as SOON as you get out of bed to get your metabolism going for the day.  If you need a few ideas or would like to give me an idea of your schedule I would be MORE than happy to design a training program for you!  It's important to do weights/resistance training as well as cardio. 

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You are in the right frame of mind and you just have to push yourself!

Lisey
on 2/24/13 10:13 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Very true on the making time to exercise.  It sucks that you can lose the muscle tone & endurance (& all the health benefits) so quickly when you stop.  SIGH.  Morning exercise is good for reving up the metabolism for the day - I will have to do so!  I actually used to weight lift prior to WLS & am lucky to have a small home gym in my house - or my future father-in-law's house, but I live here for now.  I will start a program this week & alternate it with cardio.  I know that's the best route.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

NYer
on 2/23/13 1:40 pm

Best wishes on your marriage!  

NYer
on 2/23/13 1:40 pm

Awww, man...the rest of my post disappeared!  ack!

Lisey
on 2/24/13 10:19 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Thank you!!!

Sunshine16
on 2/23/13 4:02 pm

Another Suggestion - It is good to have different options, you might get a little from everyone to reach your goal.

Well I'm kind of in the same boat with you, but the way I got there is I messed up.  I had the nerve to have spaghetti, one week from the next.  Made one pot of spaghetti one week, and another the following week. What a nut case. I did not feel good, I felt bloated and everything.   Now don't get me wrong I eat my bad things all the time but I guess the DS had to draw a line somewhere. Do I decided to do the,  " Sacred Heart Medical Diet" before I lost weight I use to try it....a good way of cleansing myself out.  But this time I didn't do it to the extreme. I still had my milk in my coffee, because fat is good for dsers, and I didnt do it for so long.  I think from Sunday to Wednesday....for some reason Thursday was my breaking point and I was back down.  IT took the sugar cravings away by the second day..really the first day because I was so fed up with my weight gain. 

However, I was down 7 pounds even when I didnt do so well on  Thursday.  That Friday, I was content.  Now its Sunday again, and I"m going to try it again....perhaps going forward, watching my carbs Sunday thur Wed or Thursday, and have a little moderation of enjoyment.   Also me eating high carb foods at night contribute to my weight gain too.  My goal by April or Summer is to be down 10-12 pounds.                                                                                                                                                               

Huneypie
on 2/24/13 4:10 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hi Sunshine, how do you get your protein in on the Sacred Heart Diet?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Sunshine16
on 2/24/13 4:31 am

Excellent question!  I really enjoy meet & cheese, greek yogart, bacon, peanut butter, and where I really get my protein is in  Isopure drinks...yummy, expensive, but I enjoy them.  I don't do too well with the shakes..well probably haven't tried all, but the whey protein from GNC has soy base, and I'm severely allergic to soy.

Now that I'm a dser, I don't follow the sacred heart diet to the "T", but it really helps with the carb carvings. That is my main curse...however, if you still hungry, dsers can always eat meat.......today, I purchased some ground beef, sometime during the week I will make cheese burger patties without the bread....I use the lipton onion for the seasoning and it is soooo good.  Plus when you mirnate your steak real good....that is sooooooooo delicious by it self.  You can have fun with the low carb high protein routine.  Plus since I am not in a rush to lose the weight, I do look forward to my Fridays's and Saturday....

Isopure Zero Carb RTD Variety Pack - 12 Bottle(s) m

Huneypie
on 2/24/13 5:03 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Interesting, thanks.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 136 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 678 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views