L-methylfolate Prescribed as Deplin ???

beemerbeeper
on 2/25/13 9:44 am - AL

This has been recommended to aid my treatment for depression.  I looked it up trying to find out if it is a gel cap or oil based and this is what I found:

Each DEPLIN® 7.5mg tablet contains 7.5 mg of L-methylfolate (Metafolin®)*. *CAS#151533- 22-1 Each DEPLIN® 15mg caplet contains 15mg of L-methylfolate (Metafolin®)*. *CAS#151533-22-1
DEPLIN® 7.5mg Dietary Ingredients: Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Silicified Microcrystalline Cellulose 90, Silicified Microcrystalline Cellulose HD 90, Opadry II Blue 85F90748 (Polyvinyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide [color], PEG 3350, Talc and FD&C Blue #2[color]), L-methylfolate Calcium, Magnesium Stearate (Vegetable Source), and Carnauba Wax. DEPLIN® 7.5mg tablets do not contain sugar, lactose, yeast or gluten. 

Of course my prescriber does not understand the difference between the DS and the RnY and was given info about this drug in regards to RnY patients with depression.

I don't really understand how this relates to folate or folic acid but typically DSers don't have problems with those vitamins, is that right?  Are these vitamins that RnYers DO have problems with?

I thought I would try to contact VitaLady as well.  I don't want to pay for this prescription if it is not something I will A) absorb or B) need.

~Becky

docputer
on 2/25/13 10:32 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

I tried to research this a little. Some of the information on this is just refers to Bariatric or gastric bypass patients as those who might be helped by Deplin. There has been some discussion of it on the RNY forums. It is also mentioned on Livestrong forums in a discussion of patients who have had the stomach removed and had B12 or Folate insufficiency.

I know this isn't much to go on, but good luck and I hope you find something that will be helpful.

docputer
on 2/25/13 10:36 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mental-health/3940989/Deplin/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4028082/anti-depressant-advice-please/

MajorMom
on 2/25/13 6:28 pm - VA

Here's what I put in my email. It's just an uneducated, non-medical opinion for discussion purposes.

I think where your doc and this food scam is coming in is that folic acid is absorbed in the upper small intestine (read that duodenum) and RNY patients’ duodenums for the post part are bypassed. If they were to supplement correctly with a sublingual folic acid, they probably wouldn’t have a problem absorbing folic acid and their folate labs would be fine. There is always a small population of folks that can’t absorb and convert folic acid into all it’s sub-parts, maybe this “special” form of folic acid is really best geared towards them. Putting folic acid in “special” food isn’t going to do much for many RNYrs either unless they can absorb it past their bypass. I think they will still have a problem since it’s all bound up in the food that may or may not break down enough to get absorbed.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 2/26/13 8:07 am - AL

It isn't really food.  It is called a "food" because it is a prescription that is NOT FDA approved.  First I've heard of this type of label on a vitamin product.  It is a tablet.

~Becky

Lisa A.
on 3/24/14 7:45 am

Has this helped you Becky?? The Dr. wanted me to take it also. I had Gastric bypass 10 years ago.

Glitter Text Generator

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views