Hello, from a vet, including ups, downs and accountability..

mellysarah03
on 3/2/13 10:17 pm - Fort Myers, FL

Good day, DSers, Vets, Newbies, and wannabes. I hope all is well. I have been away from the board for a while as life really does take over post DS I am now working 40+ hours a week as a medical assistant and am in school working towards becoming a RN.  I was 4 years post-op in November. I had up until recently been maintaining between 175-180 (up from my lowest of 160) but I was active and felt good and was content. I am now up to 185, less active and NOT happy. I would like to share that after the first year or so I was able to eat almost whatever I wanted without fear of gaining. Sadly this has finally changed. I am able to eat a lot, still not as much as pre-op (which is not new and doesnt concern me). I do however, have to go back to low carb living. Part of why I am writing this is just as a warning. The warning is NOT against the DS, because I think my DS is the best thing I ever did for myself and would do it all over again. My warning is, DS is NOT the fix-all if you have a food addiction (as I very much did and still do) deal with it BEFORE the ds. Because there will come a day when you will either freak out because you cannot eat and dont know what to do with yourself (as I did a few times, when stressful things came up) and/or you will sabotage your weight loss.  That being said, my goal is to go back to 165-170 and yes at that weight my BMI is still "overweight" but I have decided the BMI calculator is FLAWED. At 160 I was THIN but I have a lot of extra skin, and the BMI calculator still said I was overweight. So, I will try to post on the daily thread of food/excersize in order to hold myself accountable. =0) Thanks one and all! 

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

* Gail R *
on 3/2/13 11:42 pm - SF Bay Area, CA

Yep, me too. At three years out I started gaining rather quickly. I have always been pretty good about staying away from carbs as I am diabetic but my body seems to have adjusted to the DS and I am steadily gaining. I am up 20 pounds and want it all off. I am working at it and it is going off (but a lot slower than it went on) Still, it is coming off faster due to the DS. Without it I know it would be there for good. Good luck to us!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

mellysarah03
on 3/2/13 11:46 pm - Fort Myers, FL

See I have not been staying away from carbs. NOT AT ALL... aaaand it is catching up now. But thinking of losing 15-20 is not a such a scary thing as the at one time 170 i needed to lose. So I am optimistic! GOOD LUCK!! keep us posted!

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

wings
on 3/14/13 2:31 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

Gail, I have been stuck at same wt for over a year and I still need and want to lose almost 40 pounds. I asked Dr. Greenbaum how I can continue to lose  and he told me I lost the 80% of my wt that he expected me to and I would probably not loose any more even if I tried. 

Really, why can't I loose more.  I walk every day and I pretty much live on protien shakes now and one meal a day with the least amount of breading or sugar of anykind.  Wow and I can't eat anywhere close to the amount pre surgery.  I do not understand. 

I thought, low to extreme low carbing, high fat to the point of orange slicks and high protien would cause wt to fall off but its not happening here.   How are you doing it?  How can we loose more wt or is Dr. Greebaum correct?

Carla

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
* Gail R *
on 3/14/13 4:17 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Hi Carla, I have only lost a couple of pounds so far but I am doing what everyone suggests. I upped my protein intake, increased my water & hydration, and look at all nutrition labels to keep count of every carb. There are a surprising number of hidden carbohydrates in our foods. I realized this when I started carefully tracking the source of my high blood sugar.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Sadly, the 80% is part of the deal with getting the DS. Just like the 98% diabetes cure which made me part of the two percent that didn't get resolution. I don't know why some of our bodies are so tenacious at holding onto weight. I read it is part of natures way of protecting us in famine and that is why we have to be certain to get more than enough protein.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

wings
on 3/14/13 4:28 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

Its just makes us kinda get that helplessness feeling back (just a little) that we had prior to the surgery when we could not loose an ounce but I would still do it again because I am over 200 pounds lighter so if I gain a little I will just deal with it, but I don't understand how some have same surgery and loose 100%.

But its just how it is according to Dr. Greenbaum and he appologized but why, I look awesome and I don't look like a emaciated skin and bones person either. 

I look pretty healthy and I was called a diva/cougar just this past Sunday lol.  So we deal with what we have and by all means it is better because of the DS. 

Carla

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
beemerbeeper
on 3/3/13 12:50 am - AL

I went on a stress eating binge and gained up a whole size plus a little in jeans.  I don't know how many pounds exactly but I think at least 15 or 20.

I am down to my smallest of my smaller jeans after deciding to do it right and live right at Thanksgiving last year.  Once I got oof the carbs it wans't so bad.  I added a little more exercise and I am tryint go stick to the plan.

An oops once in a while isn't going to start a complete reversal / set back.  That is what I am learning today.  One day at a time live with tons of protein and fat.  It isn't rocket science but sometimes it is hard to do.

The completel MAGIC of the DS is that if you go back to clean eating the WEIGHT WILL COME OFF and much faster than from any diet I was ever on pre-DS.

Accoutabiltiy helps everyone.  You can join the Bites and Vites thread and I will see you there!!!

You can do it!!!!

~Becky

Noodle65
on 3/3/13 5:55 am
DS on 10/18/12

Thanks all of you vets for the reality check.  I am about 4 months out and am amazed at what I can eat and still lose.  Your posts help to remind me that the DS is not the panacia-but it is a WLS miracle :-)

Sandra C.
on 3/3/13 6:57 am - Killeen, TX

OMG I so know what your saying. I am almost three years out. The first two years was like a free for all lol but in the last few months I have gained 20 pounds. Back to low carb. Glad I'm not alone.

Sandra

I love my DS! 

SW/CW/GW        NO REGRETS!!!!!!

242/123/126

Felicia S.
on 3/3/13 8:46 am, edited 3/3/13 4:56 pm - Lincoln, NE
Hi! It's really nice to read your post. I will be 4 years' out on March 30th and know exactly what you're talking about. I have gained 16 pounds (up to 156 from 140) and I really need to get my butt in gear and do what I need to do to lose the extra weight. Becky's story is inspirational. I know exactly what I need to do...it's just the doing that is hard. It is all my fault too as I am out of control with my sugary carbs. One day I ate a whole stinking bag of triple stuffed Oreos! Why did I do that?? I'm going to join you in trying to get back on the bandwagon. Today is a bust as I ate half a box of Thin Mints, but tomorrow I will start posting in bites and vites with you. We can do this. Hhugssss.

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views