Question on Vitamins and not taking them

julanie
on 3/11/13 1:51 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

Now, I'm good and I always take them.  Crazy about it actually. But about a month ago I picked up a nasty flu like virus from one of my children.  For 3 days I ran a high fever and slept.  I only had crystal ligh****er, someone kept my bottle full for me.  During that 3 or 4 days, I didn't take anything. 

So while I'm sure that I didn't put myself in danger, do we need to do anything to help with re-coup after something like that?  Do I need to double up on the vites and protein to try to boost myself back up? 

I will get my most recent labs in two days at my dr appt and I'm going to ask them what their experience is on something like this, but I just was wondering.  All anyone ever says is always take your vitamins, never skip, never miss, but when crap happens if there a point that you should start worrying?  What if you are vomitting and can't keep anything down, like a rotovirus?  Seems like a waste of expensive pills to take them if you have a stomach bug. 

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
kathy215
on 3/11/13 2:26 am
I'm sure missing 3 days if your vitamins won't do any damage, I would NOT double up on anything. We only absorb so much at one time. Just get back into your regular routine and don't beat yourself up over it. We all have those days.

Take care
PattyL
on 3/11/13 3:19 am

It's all good.  What you do for a couple days is no big deal.  What you do for weeks and months is!

beemerbeeper
on 3/11/13 8:45 am - AL

Everyone gets sick and can't take them for a few days.  No harm as long as you get back on them when you can. 

~Becky

southernlady5464
on 3/11/13 9:13 am

Thanks to jaw surgery in March, I was almost 6 weeks without mine...but when I had my labs in Dec, there were only two that were low...my D and my K. While I do recommend not skipping any, sometimes it can not be helped. Just keep going and adjust with your next labs.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

J G.
on 3/12/13 5:05 pm

Wow, 6 weeks!  That would mess me up.  Did you try to take any in liquid form?  How long did it take to get the D and K back up?

-Jenny

southernlady5464
on 3/12/13 10:57 pm

Don't know yet...my surgeon will only pull my labs once a year now so I just have to wing it until we get moved since my current pcp has me use my surgeon (both are local) since his "powers that be" will only allow him to pull certain ones and neither of those are the D & K.

But I am working on them.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

J G.
on 3/12/13 5:01 pm

Julanie, I would think maybe a little extra protein would help you heal, if you can manage that.   Don't worry about catching up on the vites, but I would double up on probiotics to restore your good bacteria in your gut.  BTW, what did you think of Dr. Kim?  -Jenny

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views