Help! How do I transfer surgeons?

julanie
on 3/18/13 5:22 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

I just found out that it is possible that my surgeon will no longer be accepting my insurance as of 4/1/2013.  There is only one other surgeon in the area that does DS according to the dsfacts.com listing, and they told me just now that they do not take transfer cases due to the complexity of the surgery. 

Anyone ever have to transfer, and if so how do you get them to take you?  Any suggestions of how to handle? 

Never mind that I'm angry.  I'm willing to bet if I call his office, they would tell me that it's because the ins co didn't pay enough.  But his brand new office, nice car in the parking lot, and billboards/tv commercials would suggest otherwise.  blush

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
MsBatt
on 3/18/13 5:49 am

What surgeon are you trying to change to? If it's Barker, don't bother. Call Stewart.

Valerie G.
on 3/18/13 5:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How about you call your insurance company yourself and ask (1) what's involved with changing surgeon choices for the same surgery and (2) is your new selected surgeon in network?  Office staff isn't the end-all-be-all of information.  Once you get the answers from the insurance company, ask to speak to the office manager to see if she can help get the ball rolling.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

julanie
on 3/18/13 7:20 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

I've already had the surgery, so I'm OK there.  they said that they will continue to see me for follow-up care, but if something happens and I have to have a revision or a problem comes up, then I have to make discount plan arrangements because his future surgeries will be out of network.  Since I'm a single income family of four, I'm nervous about him only being willing to monitor me in network, what happens if something else happens and I have to scramble to find a surgeon later that will take my coverage?  I'd rather switch now while I'm an easy, non-complicated case, I would think that would be more attractive than a problem case to a surgeon considering taking over the case.  I called Dr. Stewart and they said no.  Maybe if I send a copy of my chart with a letter explaining why I'm switching, etc. then the office manager will make an exception?  My chart should show I'm a good, compliant patient with no current problems . . . 

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
Valerie G.
on 3/18/13 7:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay, I understand now.  Fortunately, those needs are very rare.  Your general follow--up care can be handled with your PCP.  I bundle all of my labs in with my annual physicals.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views