probiotics- how soon?

jzwife
on 3/30/13 4:25 am

I have always taken a probiotic but haven't had any since surgery. I have a bad yeast infection from all the antibiotics they gave me while in the hospital.( I had problems with my kidneys so they gave me a double whammy of antibiotics)

I am wondering if I could open a capsule and just pour it in water and drink it down? Just not sure how that all affects my new wiring.

Any suggestions? I hope you guys don't get sick of my questions- this is a learning process for me!!

Sharon

* Gail R *
on 3/30/13 6:14 am, edited 3/30/13 6:14 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I started on probiotics a month or so before surgery at the suggestion of my surgeons office. I have been experimenting with different brands to get the best action for the least $$. I started with a very expensive variety that is kept refrigerated. They can melt in your mouth and are easy to swallow for a new DS. It actually helped control the thrush that I got after surgery until I got the nystatin rinse. I have been trying other types but decided on the mid price Trader Joes brand. Just recently Costco had a gummy bear probiotic on sale and I have one or two of those as a treat. These would be great for a new post op too. I don't see any reason why you couldn't open the capsule if it is hard for you to swallow at this stage. I never had a problem, even the first day out, swallowing my meds. Just had to do it one at a time. I take about double what the dosage states. I also get my probiotics from yogurt and kefir.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Valerie G.
on 3/30/13 6:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If anything, eat yogurt.  If you want to do a pill, you can take a pill.   You just do it one at a time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vicki PNW
on 3/30/13 10:25 am

I take a store brand of Acidophilus with Psyllium every morning.  I take the second one in the mid-afternoon or evening when I am going to be around other people.  I also eat Fage yogurt which I buy at Trader Joe's or Target.  If the Fage brand isn't available in your favorite store, then use any other Greek yogurt instead.

It may be better for you to take the capsule and swallow it than to break it open and pour it into water and drink it.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

J G.
on 3/30/13 3:17 pm

I took my probiotics in my suitcase to the hospital and took them on day 2.  Here's a quote from Prevention magazine:

That may be why two Lactobacillus strains (L. reuteri and L. rhamnosus) seem to help control vaginal infections. Last year, two reports showed that a supplement combining those strains, sold as Fem-dophilus, helped get rid of bacterial vaginosis. Women taking medicine plus the supplement were twice as likely to be cured as women who took only the drug.

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/europes-b est-kept-health-secret?page=2#ixzz2P53rM07G

http://www.vitacost.com/jarrow-formulas-fem-dophilus-30-caps ules?csrc=NTDC-790011030058&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=30-1 43864603-2

Vitamin Shoppe has them, also.

I usually take one of the Renew Life products.  2-3 times a day.  Some  capsules are designed to bypass the stomach in favor of the intestines, so if you would open one of those and drink it down you would loose some percentage of it.   But.... if ya gotta do it,  that's probably better than nothing.  I think I would just swallow it.  If you are still taking antibiotics, take the probiotics at the midpoint between antibiotic doses.

Keep those questions coming and hope you feel better fast! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 122 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 664 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views