Excuse Me - 3 years out, I'm absorbing something - Keeping it Real

Sunshine16
on 4/14/13 1:15 am

First year, major Malabsorption, however me being three years out come June, not losing weight anymore,but it easy for me to gain weight.  Those malabsorption rules do not apply.  I'm definitely getting more nutrition and the scale shows.  The same rules do not apply the older your ds gets.  Now for me, my main concern is getting the weight off and keeping it off.  Back to the grind of watching my weight. That will never end, yes at this point the ds is a little forgiven, but if you do not change your ways after the surgery, your same bad habits will multiply and come around to hunt you.

Keeping it Real, nothing is majic here in the real world.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

MajorMom
on 4/14/13 1:48 am - VA

True.  There's no such thing as a free lunch. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 4/14/13 2:47 am

How sure are you that you're absorbing more, rather than just eating more? Believe me, over time it becomes MUCH easier to eat more. Do you journal every bite that goes into your mouth? And perhaps you're eating the same number of calories, but they're coming from a different (i.e., more readily absorbed) source?

Most folks find that over time they have to increase their vitamins and supplements. Since this is based on actual lab values, I see that as an argument that malabsorption doesn't decrease significantly. And at 9+ years post-op, I know that I'm eating more---but I'm not gaining, unless I pig out on the carbs. Fortunately, when that happens, all I have to do it de-carb and any pants get loose again. (*grin*)

Sunshine16
on 4/14/13 9:02 pm

Yes, I am eating too more carbs, a container of ice cream, a large pack of cookies..  

No I do not journal what I eat.  Lately I have been stressed, and even when I'm not hungry I tend to still want to eat...its like my brain wants the food, rarely is it my stomach. 

When you decarb, what is usually your eating regimen?

A question is what to eat when my brain is greedy, and still lose weight?

MsBatt
on 4/15/13 12:22 am

When I de-carb, I just...don't eat any carbs unless they're in veggies. One of my currently favorite meals is thinly-sliced, flash-fried pork loin with sauteed onions and peppers. While a roll goes really well with this meal, it's delicious without any bread, too. (*grin*) Also, I eat salads---lettuce, tomato, onions, peppers, cukes, mushrooms, with lots of ham and cheese. No croutons, and I personally don't like dressing on my salad.

When I'm having a hungry-brain day, I eat lots of raw veggies, cheese, nuts, deli meats.

As for ice cream---try making your own. There are recipes for protein ice cream out there. Also, as a DSer, you can make yours with heavy cream! I use Splenda, and it's actually better than 'regular' ice cream.

airbender
on 4/14/13 8:44 am

this is true-....the first 18-24 months, the body is trying to deal with the trauma of the ds.  Once our bodies adapt to the intestinal bypass the body becomes much better at absorbing (not a bad thing, it is doing what it should to survive) so while this is true, i think as dsers we also 2+yrs out tend to be a little more relaxed, carbs magically appear in our diets?  hey where did they come from?  we eat more, since our sleeve is now matured also, but it is those gosh darn carbs are usually what gets dsers, especially at that time >2 yrs out and you want to test the waters....the ds is not a cure all, it is by far the best obesity management tool (surgery) out there, but weight gain is common around the 2+ yrs when we are delusional that we can continue to "eat more"--be honest with yourself... how were you eating at 6 months PO?  how is it diff than now?  wishing you a good fight, we are all in together.......

Sunshine16
on 4/14/13 8:58 pm

Its different now because I can eat so much more.  Actually sometimes my binging is so embarrassing, and yes I should be a shame of myself.  This week it has been a little different I did pick up weight because I ate too much ice cream, hey a container of ice cream....I know I did say embarrassing. So lately I feel the extra weight and my eating has change.  I feel like I'm bloated or something.  I''m not sure what is going on with my body this week....strange.  I know I gained an additional five pounds and know I need to get it off.  Last year I gained weight, and was okay because I looked good and felt comfortable, but I can not be doing this crap every year.  Yes I do eat too much carbs, and I am out of control. Luckily this is a new week, and will force myself to do better. 

southernlady5464
on 4/15/13 1:00 am

Carbs, esp milk based carbs can cause SERIOUS bloat! And depending on which ice cream...look to all the ingredients...those called "Carb Smart" have the same number of carbs...but use sugar ALCOHOLS instead of sugar...and sugar alcohols do me in EVERY time!

If you can't control the amount of ice cream, don't buy it.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

BrightsideSusan
on 4/15/13 8:18 am - Pleasanton, CA

Oh!  I can relate.  I tried some sugar free frozen yogurt and added a bunch of almonds to add protein - and I felt so awful.  Never again!

BrightsideSusan
HW310 CW143 GW150

BPD-DS on October 24, 2012

fitnessfoodlife.blogspot.com

Sunshine16
on 4/20/13 3:19 am

I agree with you there, I wil only purchase the pint ice cream from now on. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 239 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 728 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views