protein- having trouble

jzwife
on 4/18/13 11:48 am

I have been trying to eat more of my protein rather than drink it but it seems I can only consume about 1/4 cup before it decides to come right back up without warning. I don't have a a problem doing chili or a piece of Baby Bell cheese but if I eat a little chicken or fish-especially if there is fat with it- it doesn't take long and its right back up. I don't have problems with vites, or other fairly soft foods. I know it takes time to figure it all out but I'm hoping this is just a phase and will eventually go away as my pouch matures. Any suggestions? I am just a little over 4 weeks out. Am I pushing it to soon?

Sharon

OneStepForward
on 4/18/13 2:04 pm

I have not had surgery yet, so take this for what it's worth... I just had my nutrition class the other day and mentioned that digesting meats will probably be challenging for the first couple months. Again, I don't know if that is true since I haven't done it yet, but if they are right then you are probably just trying a little early! GL and I hope you get some great advice from the others!

MajorMom
on 4/18/13 7:07 pm - VA

I still use shakes almost 6 years out. It took a couple of years for me to be able to eat anything other than fatty meats and chili. A little opposite from you, but yeah, we all seem to have adjustment periods of various lengths. Good luck.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

ghkan
on 4/18/13 11:06 pm - Comstock Park, MI

I'd say your it's too early for chicken/fish.  Hold off for a while, find other protein sources that will be easier on your tummy.  You're still healing so give it time, before you know you'll be able to eat those foods.

P. Poster
on 4/18/13 11:50 pm

Chicken and fish are both pretty lean and dry.  I still have issues with them sometimes at 3 years out.  There is no way at 4 weeks I could have eaten them.  Steak was the first dense protein I could eat and not have issue with, and its still one of my faves and one I can eat the most of.

jzwife
on 4/19/13 1:21 am

Thank you- you guys are so helpful. I'm doing Fage this morning and will pass on all the meat for awhile . Going back to my protein drinks too. When the Dr said to be experimental I was  so bored I took it to heart!

thanks

Sharon

jashley
on 4/19/13 1:25 am
DS on 12/19/12

I had the same thing early on.  I tried olives in oil, and it hit my stomach like a trampoline.  Any fat or oil made me toss it back up. 

Try eating food that isn't fried.  Try some tuna fish from a can, chicken from a pouch.  See if you can keep those down.

It is a phase.  4 months out, I can eat fried foods now.  I can eat bacon.  I can eat anything except sugar.  Sugar did a bounce back up also.

It all gets better as time goes by. 

BrienneofTarth
on 4/19/13 3:01 am - IL
DS on 03/26/13

Other possible protein options:  eggs with melted cheese; reduced fat peanut butter?

I'm still experimenting - but at my two week check-up, my surgeon gave me the ok to do "soft foods" - whi*****luded ground turkey, tuna, etc.  So this past week, it has been an experiment of what feels ok.  Sometimes 2oz of chicken breast is ok, sometimes it's not.  Very annoying, especially since I was getting very bored with greek yogurt, peanut butter and cottage cheese.  I wanted to CHEW something! 

Valerie G.
on 4/19/13 6:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Chicken and ground beef took me some time to tolerate.  Instead try slow cooked choices like pot roast or stewed meat, slow cooked pork.  You want juicy and soft.  Try ricotta cheese, add a little tomato sauce and mozzerella to make it like lasagna.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views