Fatty Liver? Crap!

Lynda D.
on 5/3/13 4:18 am

Hey all. I haven't been on here in ages. I haven't been well, to be honest. Still struggling with my hypothyroidism. Thank god I have a phenomenal endocrinologist. I've finally  found a drug - or rather drugs - that work, namely Synthroid and Cytomel. The combination of the two seem to be the magic solution. It's just a matter of getting the dose right. 

But now I have a new problem: fatty liver. I know nothing about this other than what the doctor has told me. According to him if I don't lose weight I will have poor quality of life, I will get sicker and my liver will become cirrhotic, which will lead to my eventual death. It will just take twenty years to do so. 

Oh joy.

The problem is I don't think I can lose weight with diet and exercise alone. I think I will need to get my gastric bypass revised and frankly, that terrifies me. A revision could introduce a whole host of problems that might just be worse than anything that might happen if I remain obese. A revision could kill me. It is major surgery, after all. 

Looks like I have a lot of soul searching to do.

Thanks in advance,

Lynda

By the way, if I don't respond to this post right away it isn't because I don't care or anything; I haven't felt well and I'm not on the computer much these days. But I will check back and I will respond. I'll just be slow in doing so. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Crazeru
on 5/3/13 4:41 am

I'd recommend Dr Rabkin or Dr Keshishian they are both in California.  They take down your RNY and then do the DS.  Others give your a E-RNY, but you still have a pouch and the problems with it.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

lamby80
on 5/3/13 3:30 pm, edited 5/3/13 3:33 pm
DS on 04/10/13

I, too, recommend Dr. Rabkin.  I recently had a standard DS with him and he's amazing, as is his staff.  He's known to have great success with revisions as well.

GOOD LUCK!  

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

hollykim
on 5/3/13 6:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I would do a revision to DS in a heart beat. Your quality of life can only improve,in my opinion.

And yes,the DS is major surgery,but so was the RNY! and you did that...

clutterbunny
on 5/3/13 6:21 am - CA

What they said.  Dr. K is amazing.  Brutally honest and doesn't mess around...He did my DS and then just last week did my hernia repair.  I was thrilled he was able to do it.

Good luck!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/3/13 9:00 am

I remember you. I think a revision could be your golden ticket, but worry that if you go talk to just any surgeon they may urge you to get a revision to some other type of RNY, like ERNY. I have heard more bad than good about those, and think if you are going to subject your body to another surgery, then make it count and get the DS. Certainly the best chance to fix the fatty liver. 

If it were me, I'd consult with Kesheshian in CA.

Lynda D.
on 5/6/13 8:44 am

Oh Amy, there is no way on God's green earth that I am getting anything other than a DS. No way. No freaking way! Nope. It's the DS or death for me. 

Lynda D.
on 5/6/13 8:42 am

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I took so long responding. 

I would love to go to one of the California surgeons. I really would. But the almighty dollar says no. That's not an excuse, that's reality. And honestly, I think Dr. Simper — who (whom?) I have chosen — is awesome. I've seen him several times over the past two years to discuss my revision and some of my nutritional issues. I'm very impressed with him. His staff is amazing, very professional and kind.

It's not finding a good surgeon I'm worried about. It's my failing health. I've been fighting this thyroid problem since 2009; I couldn't find a medication that would work for me until recently. To date, the discussions I've had with Dr. Simper centered on me getting my hypothyroidism under control so that I'm healthy enough for a revision. I've pretty much got my thyroid problem fixed, but now there's this new development with my liver. 

I guess I wanted to know how dangerous is a fatty liver. Let's assume for a moment that Dr, Simper is every bit as good as the docs in California — as I believe he is. Would having fatty liver disease exacerbate any problems I might have with a revision? And if so, to what extent?

Has anyone here had this same problem? What was your experience? Please share. Learning of other's experiences is more informative to me than any clinical report. 

Thanks much,

Lynda

JazzyOne9254
on 5/6/13 9:37 am, edited 5/6/13 9:39 am

I took a huge chance when I had my DS four years ago.  I have autoimmune issues that were present pre-op, but we all (me, doctors, surgeon) agreed that the benefits outweighed the risks (no pun intended).

On the up side, medicines that would not work at my high weights, are effective now...not perfect, but I'm not having flares now that keep me in bed three weeks out of the month.  I haven't had to be hospitalized for flares since my surgery, but I did have nutritional issues treated as an outpatient (infusions).

I'm sorry that you have to deal with fatty liver.  A former professional colleague's son had fatty liver, and didn't make it through his open DS. 

You've got a really tough call to make for yourself, and I wish you the best. Have you thought about contacting the revision experts that are mentioned here on OH ? 

I'm thinking Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Rabkin.  Though I don’t know much else about them except what I see here, they seem to be the go-to revision surgeons.  I think I’ve seen others mention Dr. Gagner, too.

Did you have to do a pre-op fast to shrink your liver prior to your RNY?  A modified fast along those lines might help shrink the liver, but you would have to work closely with a nutritionist who is familiar with hypothyroidism and bariatric nutrition specific to your surgery. 

It might be worth asking around.  If your budget is like mine, it's shot full of holes right now, but I've found that somehow, I have been able to get what I need when I need it.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lynda D.
on 5/6/13 10:50 am

Jazzy, going to California won't work for me. I have Dr. Simper here in Salt Lake. He's awesome. 

As far as dieting, yes, I'll have to do a six to three month diet program before surgery. Whether I'll have any success losing weight  and/or shrinking my fatty liver...who knows? Maybe. My husband seems to think I just need to try harder to lose weight on my own. He thinks the fact that I've already had gastric bypass should enable me to lose weight easily on my own. I don't agree. I've spent my entire life dieting. If dieting worked, I wouldn't be so obese now. 

Sigh...

Getting hubby's support is a whole 'nother issue. Once again...sigh. 

Right now I feel like my only choices are weight loss surgery, or liver cirrhosis and possible liver cancer. That's a bleak viewpoint but, there you have it. 

Okay, not gonna lie, the fact that your colleague's son died, that scares me. Am I too ill to survive surgery if I have a fatty liver? That's what I need to know. 

I'm glad your autoimmune issues are better now. What, if I may ask, do you have? Have you heard of low-dose Naltrexone? There doesn't seem to be a lot of official proof that it works, as in very little official studies, but I've heard it's wonderful for autoimmune diseases. You should look into it if you haven't already. 

Lynda

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom