vitalady call very upsetting

Laura in Texas
on 5/8/13 3:50 am

I hope you are on the mend, Michelle!! I have never used your services but know many who do and they always rave. I do refer people to you, even non-WLS people who are having trouble with their labs. I appreciate the time you take to help people in our bariatric community.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Beam me up Scottie
on 5/11/13 4:18 am
Michelle,

I'm so sorry about what you are going through in your personal life! Thank you for the dedication that you've shown to educating us. Everyday I pop my morning handful of vits and many of them say vitalady on the label- you have a legacy of people that've you've helped along the way. I hope that you can find a solution to your own personal health issues.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Scott
vitalady
on 7/9/13 9:37 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
and thanks. that's why I'm still doing this, albeit from behind the curtain, so to speak. I funnel lots of info thru my staff or the loyal people on this list who will pass along new info as I get it.

I was diagnosed with RA in 2011. I'm kinda old to suddenly get that, but with the other autoimmunes I've had for ages, my already miserable typing becomes much worse on some days. I pull up questions and about 95% of what I type is wrong. Even 50% might be amusing, but those are the days when I'm with you in spirit but my hands won't let me be here in real life.

They can't treat my RA, to which they've now added fibro (along with the other 2 I've had since long before WLS), and I was OH SO HAPPY to lengthen the list of defective parts. If they treat that group, the genetic blood disorder would be made much worse. So, dying trumps misery, so there's no help with the autoimunes, but at least I still have a few cells.

As always, I'm willing to swap a coupla hundred points of ferritin for a handful of platelets. Or mature blood cells. Not picky. Got gobs of iron, but only defective cells. I need an ochestra director to get everything working in harmony!!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

larra
on 5/7/13 10:24 am - bay area, CA

I'm sorry you had a bad experience today. However, I would hope that once you have vented and gotten past your anger, you will be able to step back and recognize that we all have bad days, that you might have caught HER at a bad day or bad moment, and recognize that, as others have pointed out, it is very unusual for the head of a company to be reached on the phone at all.

Michelle (Vitalady) has provided advice to many Ds'ers and also people with gastric bypass, for free, both here, and by email to individuals, and by phone, for years. She has made a point of learning the nutritional needs of people with both operations. She carries the products needed for people with both operations (not that you can't get stuff elsewhere, and none of us are obligated to purchase anything from her).

what I have found is that some of her explanations are somewhat longwinded. Since I didn't hear the conversation, I can't really say where things broke down. I can say, from seeing her many helpful posts here and from meeting her on one of her trips around the country, that she is a genuinely caring person who is well informed and will help anyone.

I don't know what advice your surgeon and his staff have given you. I do know that many surgeons provide woefully inadequate recommendations for supplementation. I also know that it's far easier to maintain good vitamin and mineral and protein levels than it is to play catch-up once your levels have dropped.

I hope you will keep an open mind and give her another chance. Given that things didn't go well on the phone, you could consider email. That way, she can respond when it's a good time for her, and you can read her response when it's a good time for you, and email again if you have any additional questions. As Scotty said, don't throw out this very valuable baby with the bath water.

Larra

jzwife
on 5/7/13 12:38 pm

I have been to Michelles home on several occasions which is where she runs her business from. It is chaotic and a lot of stuff is always going on. Shes a lovely person and usually is very helpful BUT she is also very straight forward and matter of fact when she is speaking to you.She enjoys heping when she can but her time is usually very limited. Please don't take things she said or did personally. Try to remember and learn from what she said and what you missed go to the kind experts on this board. You will know which ones you can confide in and get help from. Those who would rather chastise or ream you over your post need to refrain from being judgemental and  be more understanding and helpful with good advice. This is where I come to get the support I need and Gina is one of the best!

J G.
on 5/7/13 3:26 pm

leanmama, hey, it's like that song "So you had a bad day." 

Maybe Michelle did, too.  I happens to all of us, right?  So just pick yourself up by the bootstraps and move on.

I remember the day Scott ask Vitalady to come to our board and I've got to say that since then I've been singing "Halleluiah!"

leanmama
on 5/7/13 9:28 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

I apologize for sharing my any I emphazize that they were only my thoughts, feelings and impressions.  I will go back to lurking and never bother you all again with my thoughts, feelings and questions.  I will if at times suffer in silence.  But hopefully progress with the revisional surgery. Thank you.

cajungirl
on 5/7/13 10:58 pm

Seriously?  You came on upset about a call and others responded with THEIR experiences so you are going to whine and play victim?  You can learn A LOT from the vets.....don't alienate yourself now and you will if you come across like this too many times.  So the experience wasn't what you hoped for.....move along and forget about it.  You can't change the past, you can make the future what you want it to be.

WLS (any) requires learning, being proactive and many times becoming tough skinned, it isn't for the weak at heart. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MsBatt
on 5/8/13 12:17 am

If the opinions of other people, posted on a public message board, upset you THIS much, you're not tough enough for the DS. Seriously. This is, in many ways, the most demanding of all the WLSs, because a successful/healthy DSer MUST advocate for herself. Sorry you don't know what a spreadsheet is---but since you obviously have a computer, do a little research and LEARN.

No need to suffer in silence, either---just toughen up. You're going to need a thicker skin anyway. I'm not saying this to be "mean". I sincerely want you to get the help you need, but no one can do it FOR you.

Julie R.
on 5/8/13 12:24 am - Ludington, MI

Oh good Lord.  Suffer in silence?  

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?