Almond Flour and Coconut Flour -- OK?

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/7/13 12:58 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Was wondering how those two products sat with you.

Almond flour is basically ground almonds.... with skins or without.

Coconut flour is similar, only the finely ground, dried coconut meat.  

Both are high in fat, fiber, and somewhat high in protein (compared to "normal" flours).  

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

J G.
on 6/7/13 4:14 pm

Yes, both should be fine for you.  :o)

Huneypie
on 6/7/13 5:05 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Dried coconut gives me gas, something to do with the preservatives they use. Almond floor sits fine though.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Trish06
on 6/7/13 11:43 pm
DS on 12/06/12

I use almond flour and that works fine for me, I do not use anything coconut I don't like it cant even stand the smell of coconuts :) but all in all nothing really bothers me much. Try it I think you will like it 

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

jashley
on 6/8/13 2:10 am
DS on 12/19/12

I've been experimenting with both in baking.  There shouldn't be any reaction, both are low carb.  But you never know till you use it.  And I don't like the smell or taste of coconuts either, but I do use the flour.  It has unique properties, so it's nice to be able to use it in a blend with other flavors and flours.  The taste and smell are easily baked into something else.

There are some wonderful, free low carb baking sites available.  I flip through them  and look up ingredients on the internet.  There are some very creative, passionate people out there experimenting with all kinds of low carb ingredients. 

PattyL
on 6/8/13 7:59 pm

I like and have used both.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views