nighttime reflux

meq815
on 6/9/13 1:27 am - PA

The last few nights I have been awoken with the unpleasantness of acid reflux in the back of my throat.  I suffered with GERD for years before my surgery, but now it seems like whatever is the last thing I eat before I go to bed, ends up refluxing during the night.  So I usually have a drink of water, a Tums and a Prilosec.  It is gone in the morning.  I am on daily Prilosec, which I usually take first thing in the AM.  Obviously, I will start taking it at bedtime.

Any suggestions on how early to stop eating before bedtime?

larra
on 6/9/13 2:06 am - bay area, CA

The prilosec will probably help most if you have it around dinner time. It takes a few hours to reach maximum effect, so that way it will be most effective during the night, when you need it most.

Larra

meq815
on 6/9/13 3:01 am - PA

Thanks, Larra...will try.  Still trying to get this schedule straight!

dustycroy
on 6/9/13 5:50 am
DS on 05/14/13

I also was on prilosec before my surgery.  Ive been taking the generic form for it "omeperzole" for years.  One 20mg was enough to change my life.  It is a two toned little blue green capsule.  Then last year, "before I even had surgery" my pharmacy decided to go with a different generic brand for the prilosec, "omeperzole".  The pill was a ruddy light brown capsule.  It was ok for about a week, then all of the sudden I started getting heartburn at night.  This was huge for me.  I had been living with out the nightmare of heartburn for years, and all of the sudden I was getting it at night.  At first I didnt put 2 and 2 together, and thought that I was just getting worse, and then one day it hit me...."the new medication"!  I still had some of the old stuff in a bottle at the back of my cubboard.  I started taking it and everyting was great again...NO HEARTBURN!  My pharmacy thought I was nuts when I asked them to order special for me my old brand.  In case you havent heard, "all generics are created equal", THEY ARE NOT!  This is fact I have experianced it with two different medications.  The other was a pain medication.  They can tell me that crap till the cows come home, but I know better...  So I telling you this just in case maybe you have switched brands, or you just may need the name brand prilosec, thats even better yet.  It REALLY does make a difference....cool

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

meq815
on 6/9/13 11:09 am - PA

Aha!  Just realized, my prescription Prilosec ran out, so I bought the OTC.  Maybe that's the difference.

hollykim
on 6/9/13 6:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I don't eat or drink after 700 pm or I will have reflux at night. i take my "bedtime" meds at 700 pm or I will reflux them as well.

I have found for break thru acid activated charcoal capsules work wonders. the charcoal absorbs the acid and takes it out of the body. the capsules are tasteless and are found at any good pharmacy and I get mine at the Vitamin shoppe.

GL

A. C
on 6/9/13 8:40 am

You might want to try Zegerid, I am using the Rx of it (which is twice the dose of OTC) and then I am using Carafate which is an Rx to coat the digestive track. 

Prilosec by itself didn't work for me.

jashley
on 6/9/13 10:44 am
DS on 12/19/12

Only certain things cause me to have reflux all night. 

1.  Premiere Protein drink that you buy at Costco.  Great stuff, but it comes back up all night long.

2.  Anything that says Bariactric on it.  Their vitamins, the shake powders, everything.  Those shakes have thickeners in them that swell in the stomach after drinking.

Good luck in finding a cure for it.  GERD is such a pain at night.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views