Rumbling gut

meq815
on 6/17/13 7:57 am - PA

So, all day today, I have the rumbling gas.  I read the label on the Del Monte "no sugar added" cling peaches I ate last night...sorbitol.  Could that be the culprit?

jashley
on 6/17/13 8:14 am
DS on 12/19/12

Look up how many carbs are in a raw peach.  There are 16.2 carbs in a cup of peach slices.  That's going to cause some gas for some of us.  Good thing you got the 'no sugar added' version.

You could be sensitive to the sugar alcohols - but that is easy to ferret out.  If you have reactions to any other foods with sugar substitutes, then you know.

meq815
on 6/17/13 8:20 am - PA

I really don't, I have used Equal, Splenda, Truvia, never had any problem.  I have been sucking on SF LifeSavers for weeks without any problem, and they contain isomalt.

I guess it's just the carbs.....

Some things don't change, though....it's comforting to find out hot tea and saltines still soothe an upset stomach...

jashley
on 6/17/13 8:31 am
DS on 12/19/12

True, they are comforting, but look at the carbs on the saltines.  They create gas also.

It was odd for me to learn that fruit is practically loaded with sugar.  I love strawberries, but they get high also. 

Now I try to keep most of my carbs coming from veggies.  Well, getting all the fiber I can handle without making my system go into melt down.  My body doesn't handle fiber very well.

meq815
on 6/17/13 8:56 am - PA

I think I had 3 saltines....I know they are "bad carbs", but sometimes, nothing else will do.  It was probably the tea that helped most of all....

* Gail R *
on 6/17/13 8:35 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Equal, Splenda, Truvia are not sugar alcohols. Sorbitol, malitol, and a bunch of others are...and they tear me up.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

meq815
on 6/17/13 8:55 am - PA

Right, Gail, jashley asked about sugar substitutes....that's why I mentioned them.  But I have seen word here in the forum that the sugar alcohols can cause problems.  No wonder they tasted so sweet to me!

jashley
on 6/17/13 10:25 am
DS on 12/19/12

Hope your tummy feels better.

mrsannie
on 6/17/13 9:43 pm

YES!!!  Sorbitol or any "tol" like malitiol or xylotol are notorious for gas, bloating, and diahrea!  If I eat that stuff -- forget it!  I suffer all day!  Many DSers have the same issues with these.

It would be better to have a moderate amount of regular sugar than that stuff.  In general its better to have the natural stuff than chemicals anyway.  Beware of "no sugar added" products they have to add something to make them taste good.  We are better off with the natural stuff.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
meq815
on 6/17/13 10:07 pm - PA

Thank you all, feeling much better today!  Good thing, too, since I have to go to work!  Just protein and water for me...

(Oh, and coffee, of course....)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 284 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 756 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views