What Insurances pay for WLS?

leanmama
on 6/27/13 4:33 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

Mine did not - Coventry (exclusionary policy) .  I am just curious to find out what plans do pay for WLS.  In case I ever change insurances, but do not plan any further WLS but for friends show consider surgery.   Thanks. 

aphillips631
on 6/27/13 11:11 pm
DS on 06/10/13
From my understanding it is not necessarily the imsurance company that makes the decisiom but individual employers decide whether to cover wls or not. My insurance paid and I have Cigna (State of TN Employees). I have paid $1000 out of pocket but may still have some bills come in as I am only 2.5 weeks out.
larra
on 6/28/13 1:24 am - bay area, CA

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this question. Each plan is different. The big national plans differ from state to state, and as was already pointed out, from employer to employer.

Your friends (and everyone else) need to read their individual plans for themselves, and if they have a choice of plans, read all before making a choice.

Larra

sonyamarie75
on 6/29/13 12:03 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

aphilips and larra are right. Individual employers can purchase rides for WLS will be covered. At my last job, I had the same insurance company that I do now. I had a WLS exclusion. Now I have a different job but the same insurance company and its covered. 

Medicare covers it (straight Medicare. Not sure about the HMO's). Some of the Medicaid HMO's cover it, but I don't think they all do. 

Its just one of those situations that require a lot of research. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

sonyamarie75
on 6/29/13 12:05 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I should clarify- some of the medicaid HMO's in my state (Ohio) cover it. 

Please forgive my typing errors. I may in fact, be the worlds worst typist!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 158 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 696 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views