not getting enough liquids

starlightlu
on 7/19/13 8:43 pm - Canada

can you tell me why it is so important to drink at least 64ounces of liquid a day. At 11 weeks out, I still only get half of that in (or perhaps a little more depending the days).

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

Curves-r-us
on 7/19/13 10:21 pm
I'm assuming it's so as not to stretch your new, tiny stomach😉
MajorMom
on 7/20/13 12:15 am - VA

You lost 80% of your stomach and took much of your small intestine out of the food chain. You used to be able to absorb more water via those surfaces than you can now. Drink up!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 7/20/13 1:12 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hydration helps with a lot of things. Vitamin absorption, bowel movements, general health.

Is it just that you can't drink very much or is there some other reason you can't get in more? Mostly I can take a mouthful at a time every couple of minutes if  I am paying attention.  I drink every now and again through the day but I try and get 16 oz in first thing in the morning to get started off right.

Some days I can drink water others I can't stand plain water and use the crystal light or Propel "on the go" packets for flavoring. Keep after it - it will help in the long run.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Irishnurse
on 7/20/13 1:28 am
DS on 04/17/13

It is hard to do. I count all liquids in my hydration count. I usually get about 48 to 56 ounces in of water or unsweet tea then I get in three protein shakes as well. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

southernlady5464
on 7/20/13 2:19 am

Keep working on it...the surfaces you USE to use to absorb fluid is greatly diminished. And in this heat, you can EASILY get dehydrated.

Symptoms of dehydration:

Symptoms of Dehydration in Adults

The signs and symptoms of dehydration range from minor to severe and include:

• Increased thirst
  • Dry mouth and swollen tongue
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Palpitations (feeling that the heart is jumping or pounding)
  • Confusion
  • Sluggishness fainting
  • Fainting
  • Inability to sweat
  • Decreased urine output

Urine color may indicate dehydration. If urine is concentrated and deeply yellow or amber, you may be dehydrated.

And you can get dehydrated inside of ONE day! Please increase as much as you can and if you feel any of those symptoms, get yourself to the ER for fluids.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jason1978
on 7/26/13 9:53 pm
DS on 06/24/13
Becareful. Try harder.

I'm 5 weeks out and found myself in the hospital last week. I only had to get some fluids but you can do MAJOR damage by not getting your liquids in.
JazzyOne9254
on 7/27/13 1:58 am

I really don't like plain water, so I make up a 2 1/2 gallon drink dispenser full of  Kool-Aid sweetened with Splenda. Lemonade is my favorite, so it's almost always lemonade.

The container is transparent, and I can see how much I've gotten in at a glance. 

I got in the habit early out to always sip on some kind of fluid all day long.  I'll probably evolve to having a cup permanently attached to my hand!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views