Mich or anyone else w/existing sleeve with minimal WL now wanting DS but have a surgeon ??

neamom
on 7/23/13 11:15 pm

Hi everyone

I had the sleeve done in 2009 at Barix, my surgeon is no longer there because he moved but I have since went back and found that my sleeve has stretched and I had a 45 lb WL only I would like to have the DS done and Dr. Pop is going to train with Dr. Kemmeter in GR at the end of the month.  I could be one of his first DS's and I think he is a wonderful surgeon, but I am nervous of course because it is such a intensive procedure, I did not like the info I received from Kemmeter office seems alot up front and blah blah blah kind of turned me off honestly.  Anyone else have sleeve revised to DS, or any experience with any of the above would be appreciated.  I have Diabetes, PCOS all the frustrating stuff and now I feel like my best choice is to add the malabsorption component and get the best procedure to reign in my diabetes..... I would welcome suggestions or thoughts

nicholivolkoff
on 7/24/13 4:30 am - Canada

Hi, I was also sleeved at Barix 2009. Lost weight but had some regain, so I got the DS 2 months ago. Have not lost any weight with the DS. 100 cm common channel. Get resleeved. DS without a tight sleeve is useless, at least for me.

Huneypie
on 7/24/13 5:07 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Sorry if you've already said elsewhere but are you eating Atkins style? I'm wondering if there is anything we can advise to help.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Caligurl99
on 7/24/13 11:40 am

now i'm nervous!! :( I have my DS on Aug 5th because of regain from the sleeve.  Should I have then tighten my sleeve at the same time?? I did great with the sleeve and then after three pregnancies, had some regain.  

nicholivolkoff
on 7/24/13 12:14 pm - Canada

Oh no, I am sorry, I did not mean to make you nervous. I am sure your surgery will be a success. Most are good for those already sleeved, I am just that one who had bad luck, I also eat too much and too many carbs, so I probably wrecked my success.

Julie R.
on 7/24/13 8:33 am - Ludington, MI

I was Dr. Kemmeter's twelfth DS, seven years ago, and have done fabulously well.    He is an amazing surgeon, and just performed some additional surgery on me last week.   There is no other surgeon on earth I trust more than him.     I am rather proud that I was one of his official first DS's.  He had been co-performing them with other surgeons prior to mine, but I truly feel like a "DS Pioneer" over at GHP.    However, and this is a BIG however, knowing what I now know about the DS, knowing about how complex of a surgery it is, and how much the result of a DS can vary from surgeon to surgeon, and also knowing you you are considering a resleeve (which is a tricky procedure in and of itself) I would advise you to go with Kemmeter.    The office is a pretty well-oiled machine, and yes, for some insurance policies, there is some upfront cost, but it will be paid back well with the knowledge that you are in supremely competent hands.   I was not fond of their pre-op requirement to purchase their foods, but it's a small price to pay for having the DS with who is now considered one of the top DS surgeons in the country.   If Dr. Pop is not training with Dr. K. till the end of this month, he is going to be VERY new to the DS when your turn rolls around.   I've also seen too many tragedies occur with resleeves in less than very experienced hands.   Good luck in your decision making process ,and please PM me if you have any questions.    

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

humbel
on 7/25/13 12:09 pm - Birmingham, MI

Hey Julie,

I had RNY in Dec of 2010, and I have not been at all successful. I lost about 40 lbs and gained it back, so I'm still about 100 lbs overweight. Anyway, I am looking into getting a RNY to DS revision. Do you know if Dr. Kemmeter has done many of these? I have already called and talked with a lady there who is going to get more info for me and call me back... but I was wondering if you think Dr Kemmeter is skilled enough to perform this extremely complicated surgery? Also, do you know anyone who has had this revision done by him? I have heard only wonderful things about Dr Kemmeter.... I have a very stretched out pouch and stoma, and I was considering getting it surgically repaired back to they way it should have been after my first surgery (as I feel something went wrong), but I am now thinking that it probably makes the most sense to be revised to the DS... I would hate to go under the knife again to correct my original surgery and end up with the same terrible results (and more scar tissue)! Whatever info/advice you can give me would be very helpful and much appreciated.                  

Sincerely,

Leslie

Trish06
on 7/24/13 10:52 am
DS on 12/06/12

I second what Julie said about Dr Kemmeter he did my surgery last December after talking to him and meeting him and his staff I was so at ease with my choices he is a  class act and they know their stuff. I knew I had to travel a long ways for my surgery so didn't really matter who I went with and what state I went to. I also didnt care for the upfront cost and the diet but you know it was a small price to pay to get one of the best and I've had no issues at all. Best of luck with who ever you choose.

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

Jensch
on 7/25/13 10:23 pm - San Francisco, CA
DS on 12/05/12
I'm a second stager - sleeved in 2010 and DS in December 2012. I've lost 28 pounds since surgery and 38 pounds since the drs consult. So, weight loss is very slow - just as my surgeon predicted. But - my regain had stopped And my diabetes is resolved! Yay! So totally worth it! Good luck with your decision and I just recommend that you have health as your goal and weight loss will be the bonus!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views