Uh oh....I think I have a hernia

beemerbeeper
on 7/25/13 1:51 pm - AL

I've been having intermittant  INTENSE pain at the sight of one of my incisions (lap surgery) and I have decided that it may be a hernia???  How is a hernia diagnosed?  What kind of doctor should I see? 

If I have one it is small and it comes and goes.  Is that typical?

Is this the kind of hernia that could get me a reduced rate on a tummy tuck?

The spot is about two inches above and two inches to the right (looking down) of my navel. And when it hurts it REALLY hurts.

~Becky

S Andrews
on 7/25/13 2:10 pm - eatonville, WA

please be very careful- if you are having intense pain I would see your surgeon ASAP. It  could be a strangulated hernia and cutting off your small intestine which could become life threatening. I had a strangulated hernia and had terrible pain off and on for months then went on vacation, did something wrong and the pain wouldn't go away. I ended up having emergency surgery in another state and had to stay there for 3 weeks- it is nothing to mess with. It usually occurs around the incisonal site because the abdomin is weakened from surgery.They did some hernia surgery when I had my DS but I now have another large hernia which will be repaired when I have a tummy tuck. Altho this hernia is different from the first hernia I am still very cautious . A general surgeon is usually the one who does the surgery but you may have to get a referral from your PCP.

Good luck!

Northcountrygirl
on 7/26/13 10:41 am

Becky,

Go now don't wait.  I had this happen last spring.  In the end I almost died.   It was horrible, I ended up with a blockage and it went bad very quickly.   I went to the ER right off and I still had major problems.   I can't stress enough, go to the doctors ASAP.   Good luck. 

Melissa

Melissa
beemerbeeper
on 7/26/13 12:40 pm - AL

Ok you guys have significantly freaked me out.  I will get an appointment with some sort of doctor asap.  How do they determine if you actually have a hernia?

S Andrews
on 7/26/13 5:14 pm - eatonville, WA

They can detect them with a CAT scan, MRI or Ultra sound. I hate MRIs so have had mine detected thru Ultra Sound and a CAT scan.When I had the emergency surgery they used the CAT scan. Good luck with your journey. Hopefully its something they can take care of before it gets too bad.

Sharon

godzilla
on 7/26/13 9:38 pm - Israel
Been there and done that!
See your GP or a surgeon in your HMO practice.
You will be physically examines laying down and standing and asked to say where it hurts as well as to cough to see if your hernia bulges in or our.
Or you might be sent to your ER and they will take blood tests, urine and send you to do US/CT.
In general a hernia repair can be done at the same time and the hernia be covered by your HMO and the possibly part of the tummy tuck.
A sign of danger is if you start to vomit and need to defacate but can't then go straight to the ER before you develop a bowel obstruction!
Mikimi in Israel
Northcountrygirl
on 7/26/13 11:34 pm

Becky,

I had a CAT w/contrast and a barium enema x ray.  Mine was internal and I showed no outward bulges.   I had 24 hours of vomiting.   I had a couple of BM's.   My daughter had the flu a few days earlier and I thought I had the flu.   Then I had horrible pain.   I knew that it had to be some kind of blockage.   They knew as soon as they did the CAT what it was and then confirmed with the x rays.   I wouldn't worry about a tummy tuck.   I'd be worried about my life.   By the way I went to the ER at the hospital where I had my DS.   I figured I'd get the best care there.   I don't want to scare you, but I want you to be well.   For your sake I hope you have a run of the mill hernia and can get that tummy tuck!   Good luck.  

Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views