Calling all DS'ers

nedsmehlp
on 8/28/13 11:45 pm - Hutchinson, KS

I had VSG in 2008 and lost 182 lbs and have regained 110 lbs.  I am considering DS surgery, but am very scared.  Could anyone that has had a DS tell me their experience with it, ups and downs.  Would you do it again?  Anything to help me make a decision.  I am desperate right now.  Does insurance cover?  I had to pay my own VSG and couldn't afford another surgery.  Does age make it a harder surgery.  I am 63.  Any good surgeons in KS?  I'd appreciate all your input.  Thank you.

Member Services
on 8/29/13 2:43 am - Irvine, CA

We did a search for you on the subject of VSG to DS and here is a link to posts where members are discussing this. We hope this helps

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=vsg+to +ds&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

PeteA
on 8/29/13 3:54 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not much help but I had a virgin DS, not a revision,  this year at 55. The Doctor was more interested in my overall health
than my age. Good Luck. I would say the first 2 or 3 weeks were the worst. Once I started to learn the ins and outs of how my body had changed things got much better. I've had no complications. I'm about 5 months out so take that into account too.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

S Andrews
on 8/29/13 10:10 am - eatonville, WA

I am 63 and had a revision from a RNY to a DS in March. I have lost 63lbs in 5 months and YES I would do it all over again. Other than a hernia that needs to be repaired when I eventually have a tummy tuck I have no real negatives. Almost every DSer has poo issues for the first few months or longer, you have to regroup in the eating department because you are eating a lot less than your brain thinks it wants to eat and you have to make adjustments in the supplements you take. All are very do-able. I needed to lose the weight and keep it off. I haven't lost as fast as some but am very grateful for where I am at because I feel so much better than I did 6 months ago and am looking forward to a lot of life to live!

Good luck in your decision. I know it can be very difficult but I am glad I did it.

Sharon

JazzyOne9254
on 8/29/13 10:58 am, edited 8/29/13 11:01 am

I had a virgin DS at the age of 51 on 2/25/09.   It is high maintenance, in terms of supplements and proteins, but you have to make the decision as to what is most important to you - permanent weight loss with a supplement regimen, or weight loss with lifelong calorie and food-restrictive dieting, as  happens with many who have the RNY.

You have to be pretty much anal when it comes to following your regimen with the DS.  The protein and vitamin intake is non-negotiable.  Sure, there are some of us who forget a vitamin or calcium dose every now and then, but daily consistency is very important with this surgery.  I also have the shortest common channel my surgeon does...75cm.  The length of the common channel determines your level of malabsorption. The shorter the common channel, the higher the malabsorption.

At the time I had my surgery, the RNY and the Duodenal Switch were the only two bariatric surgeries covered by my insurance.  That said, some insurances have to have documented proof of prior failed weight loss efforts ( your own medical records from your doctor), some require co-morbidities, like sleep apnea or high blood pressure (among several), most have a minimum BMI to qualify for the DS . My BMI was 67. The requirement, at the time of my surgery was 50 for my insurance company.  I have noticed others on the board who were approved at 40 BMI, but I think it all depends on your insurance company. Mine required me to attend support groups for six moths prior to surgery, more than likely because I had a lifelong battle with obesity.  If you don't have body image issues pre-op, trust me, you will probably have them post-op.  It took me three years before I could "see" my new body  -body dysmorphic disorder, which by the way is also responsible for anorexia nervosa.  They "see" a fat body, when they're actually average weight.  We have seen a fat body for so long, it's hard to "see" our slimmer selves.

The first couple of months post-op with this surgery are the hardest, in terms of eating and taking supplements,  but after that, it's a cakewalk, at least it has been for me!  And this note - Flintstone vitamins don't cut it for DSer's.  My basic regimen is 4 "Centrum-type" multivitamins daily, eight Calcium Citrate with D, one to two B12 shots monthly, and at least 4 B1 (niacin) supplements daily.  I really take a lot more than that, but that was my starting point post -op.  I currently take 13 different supplements daily, heavy on the ADE and K1, K2, since those are the vitamins DSers are most at risk for deficiencies.

Again, you have to be positively anal about keeping your vitamin and mineral regimen going, which can be hard for some, but for me, it has been a great ride, and has given me the freedom to eat fearlessly and healthfully!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

calendargirl
on 8/29/13 10:03 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

I can highly recommend Dr. Bernita Berntsen in the Tallgrass Medical Group in Topeka, KS.  There are several DSers on this board who have had her as a surgeon.

The first step for seeing her for a consult is to attend their seminar (held the 2nd Saturday of each month).

Here is a link for additional info:  http://www.tallgrasstopeka.com/bariatrics/index.asp

Good luck to you!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

celticfaery
on 8/29/13 11:18 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Hiya!

Your journey sounds similar to mine.  I had the VSG done in 2007 and lost 189 lbs...  regained 117.  I never made it even remotely close to my goal weight.  I started at 425 lbs and got down to 236.  I'm only 5'2.

I added the DS in October 2012.  At the time of my revision, I was back up to 353 lbs.  Today (just over 10 months out) I'm down to 248 and still losing!!!  I'm only 12 lbs away from my lowest VSG weight!  I was 26 when I had my sleeve and I'm 32 now.

My only regret...  I wish I'd done it sooner.  When I quit losing with the sleeve, I should have done it then.  I fought to keep losing and yo-yo dieted my way back up to 353.  I've had a fairly easy journey with my DS.  No complications.  I am working to correct some vitamin deficiencies, but those were present before I had the DS.  I never took vitamins with my sleeve.  But I'm religious about my vitamins and my blood work and everything has been improving beautifully!!! My insurance paid to add the DS.  I'm in Louisiana, but drove to Houston to have it done.

I am super pleased with my results so far!!!  I'm healthier now than I think I've ever been!!!

Good luck on your decision!!!  It's a tough one to make, but was WELL worth it for me!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Sharon C.
on 8/29/13 11:24 pm - Tucumcari, NM

Yes yes yes!!! I would do it over and over again. I am 62 now and I am 8 yrs out as of Dec. As far as the ups and downs you can read the post-everyone is different. Short history-in 1973 I had the old jejunoilleo bypass-gained, then had it reconnected and had the banding-gained-had it removed then after gaining all my weight back had the DS. I have stayed around my goal for years. I can gain today but if I do what I know is the right thing to do I loose very quickly and can stay where I want to be. I do have to deal with vitamin and mineral deficiencies but supplements help with that. 

Sharon C
Kandrus
on 8/30/13 7:11 am
DS on 05/28/13
I'm 43 and was a virgin DS.

I'm 3 months out, lost 60 lbs so far and have had no complications. Watch, I probably just jinxed myself. I love it!

Some people have tons of complications and regret it completely. Others sail right through. And of course, there's everything in between. Unfortunately, you don't know how your body is going to react.

Be ready for a huge life style change. Initially, you eat alot less and low carbs. So if your a burger and fry fast food person, you'll have to find something else! Once you reach goal weight, you can add carbs bu****ch for bloating and smelly gas. After about a year, your stomach pouch will grow, so you can eat 50-75% of pre-surgery.

You will need to drink protein shakes and take lots of vites daily for the rest of your life. Check out the daily Bites, Vites and Exetcites posts to see what typical food consumption looks like long term.

angryHW 265 SW 255 CW 190 (9/30/13)

nedsmehlp
on 8/31/13 1:24 am - Hutchinson, KS

THANK YOU everyone for your replies!  I really appreciate it.  I am going to investigate the surgery and see if my insurance will cover it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views