Yes, I'm the devil's advocate...

applegirljae
on 10/2/13 5:43 pm

BUT I want truthful answers!

I know several people who have had WLS; some had DS and the others had RNY.  I know better than to say that WLS is 'an easy way out' and I've watched people with my own eyes be successful on both.  Sugurey has risks and is hard on the body, this I know. 

I have one friend that is 2.5 yrs out is running her first marathon this weekend and her diet is so tight because she is terrified to gain weight back, while another has lost only about 1/2 her goal weight and is ok with that because she doesn't want to diet and eat what she's supposed to and feels that she is not as big as she was so she's ok with it.

On the other hand, my two friends that had DS literally eat what ever they want; I'm talking about not sugar free vente lattes, olive garden for lunch and just horrific junk in general (fried uncrustable anyone???) 

I've read that the malabsorption is sooo much better with the DS and weight gain is not common no matter how you eat or exercise and that RNY is harder to maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life.

Believe me when I say that I don't want to just be able to eat any junk I want and lay on the couch watching Judge Judy; I actually want to live a healthy life, out run my husband and be strong as an ox.  I want HEALTH!!  So I guess my questions are: Are you happy with the surgery you had? Is one easier then the other? Does one have more malabsorption in vitamins? Should I find a doctor to have the DS so I don't have to be so hard on myself? Or is the RNY a better way to go?

I'm looking for honest answers.  I know I'll **** folks off and that's ok, please leave your comments anyway.  I want to know which way to go.  And as a disclosure I'll be posting this on the RNY board because I don't want one sided comments.

Thanks you guys!

MajorMom
on 10/2/13 7:42 pm - VA

I like what I chose. : )   I don't eat with abandon and I walk every day I can. I think you may be seeing the experience of a few newbie DSrs and applying it to all DSrs. I don't know that many DSrs that can eat with abandon at 5 years post-op and not regain more than I would be happy with. They may be happy but I couldn't stand it. I wanted to be healthy and pain free and I wanted great long term results. I liked what I read about the DS's long term success rates. Check out www.dsfacts.com.  

Yes, we malabsorb a lot of vitamins and micro-nutrients and have to supplement heavily. It's a trade off.

Happy researching!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

morgangirl
on 10/2/13 11:39 pm - MI

There are a few other things to consider...

A few of the reasons I chose the DS were no dumping syndrome and the ability to still take NSAIDS.  Those two items were HUGE for me.  Also the DS has the best cure rate for diabetes, which I had/have.  Unfortunately it did not cure my diabetes, but overall I'm very happy with the DS choice.

BrienneofTarth
on 10/2/13 11:53 pm - IL
DS on 03/26/13

I'm only 6-months out, but I am very happy with the decision to have a DS.  I don't "eat with abandon" - but unlike some, I do eat limited simple carbs (honey in yogurt from time to time), some bread a couple of times of week, and fruit with varying results.  (Sometimes I can tolerate them, other times, I am very gassy or have diarrhea.)

As I never had a RNY, I can't compare, but my surgery program is the one that recommended a DS (they are one of the few in the country that do all types of bariatric procedures, so they don't have a vested interest in recommending one type of surgery over another because they don't do it).  The DS was the best option for me because I have to take a lot of meds for my rheumatoid arthritis (which is an immune system issue - so surgery will not improve/cure my form of arthritis) and because the amount of weight I want/should lose.

I have been blessed that I did not have any complications on the surgery table or after.  My weight loss has been steady, and my diet is a reasonable one.  I still am experimenting with what carbs I can eat without causing GI drama.  I have heard about some people having food aversions, but not me.  One thing I don't like is sometimes I forget to eat.  THAT actually causes a lot of GI drama if I skip a meal or snacks.    I have always been a good water drinker, but sometimes I forget or I'm too full, so I do "struggle" with enough water intake lately.  

The amount of vitamins may seem wacky to someone who doesn't have to supplement, BUT I take lots of pills for my RA, I just sorta shrug my shoulders and say to myself, "what's another handful of pills."  

I have been very pleased with my DS and specifically my bariatric surgery program and team.  I still have a some way to go, but I NEVER, ever in a million years thought I would be over 100 pounds lighter within 6 months of surgery.  It's still a number and concept I cannot grasp, despite me having to buy smaller-sized clothes lately - probably for the first time in my life.  

Good luck with your decision.  If you take anything from my story, I recommend you look at institutions that offer all types of bariatric surgery so you have the expertise available to you for your safety and long-range goals AND they are more likely to be objective about the type of surgery best for you without you worrying they are pushing a certain surgery because they don't know how to do a DS.

Again, best of luck!

Irishnurse
on 10/3/13 12:09 am
DS on 04/17/13

I am very happy with my DS. I it even. I am six months out and down 82 pounds. It is true that we can eat more than an RNYer but not all of us eat really bad. The honey moon phase (first year or two) you can eat kinda bad and still lose weight but you will also pay for it with gas and diarrhea and less weight loss than you would get if you ate the correct way. However, I do not deprive myself completely. If I am home alone and I am craving something bad I may eat it and suffer the consequences. I know I am not going to gain any weight but I will pay with gas and possibly diarrhea. Sometimes it is worth it sometimes it isn't.

We do eat more fatty foods though which is awesome. High fat, High protein and low carb. I love Butter. YUM! The one thing I really like about the DS is the fact that I can eat more normal and on occasion have something bad and still lose. I like that I do not have dumping and that I can take NSAIDS. I was a super absorber before surgery and everything I put in my mouth made me gain weight. It is awesome that I can eat a fried egg and a piece of toast for breakfast and not worry that I will gain five pounds. Love my DS.

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

larra
on 10/3/13 3:04 am - bay area, CA

I'm over 7 years post-op and very happy that I chose the DS. Gastric bypass works well for most people for about the first 18 - 24 months, but at that point, the weight loss just stops (for most people) even if they are doing everything right, and after that, people must be extremely careful about staying low calorie, low fat and low carb for life. That's not easy. With the DS, we have a lot more freedom and variety in food choices and cookiing methods. This is not to say that we can or should eat crap, just that we can eat more normally without the fear and guilt most of us have lived with for years and years.

As someone else pointed out, we also don't have to worry about dumping, which is NOT a weight loss tool but rather an unpleasant side effect some (not all) people with gastric bypass experience. It's rare with the DS. And we can take NSAIDs safely, whereas with gastric bypass, they are contraindicated for the rest of your life.

We do need to take more vitamins than those with gastric bypass need, but they are essential with both operations.

I believe each one of us needs to take a hard, honest look at ourselves to determine whether or not we can commit to the tight control of diet that an operation like gastric bypass requires for lasting success. I could not have done it, and I knew it. Unfortunately, many people are so desperate to have something, anything, done to help them that they put on blinders and figure that they'll make it work somehow. Some do, and a lot don't, and the rates of failure and weight regain with gastric bypass are substantial.

Larra

larra
on 10/3/13 3:09 am - bay area, CA

And I forgot to mention that the DS has higher rates of resolution for almost all comorbidities, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.

Larra

applegirljae
on 10/3/13 3:21 am

Larra,

Ooh, good to know.  My BP is extremely high and I have borderline high blood sugar as well as diabetes in my family.  I'd love for those issues to be resolved!

Thanks for your reply!

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/3/13 6:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Before surgery, my (unmedicated) BP was 175/110. I haven't taken my BP medication since 2 weeks post-op and I'm back in the normal range. :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

applegirljae
on 10/3/13 3:22 am

Thanks to all the responses!  I have so much to think about and appreciate all the info!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views