DS surgeon's in CA who accept Medi-Cal

juliew
on 10/19/13 9:47 am - Stockton, CA
I asked this yesterday on the California board and haven't gotten a response (and I'm impatient! haha) so I thought I'd ask here too.   I'm on my county's low income health program, but starting in January I will be on Medi-Cal. I want to have the DS surgery, but am not sure which DS surgeon's accept Medi-Cal. Other than emailing surgeons here in California who perform the DS and asking if they accept Medi-Cal, is there another way I can find out who accepts it? I've tried Googling up the info and have looked around OH for a list, but could not find anything. I've looked at a few surgeons websites too, but none stated which insurance companies they accepted. 

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/19/13 11:12 am, edited 10/19/13 11:12 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Hey there! I believe Dr. Keshishian accepts Medi-Cal (either that or Medicare -- or both). Don't quote me on that, but I know he accepts at least one of those!

He does charge a program fee ($3,000 for a virgin DS and $4,000 for a revision) and that is NOT covered by insurance. I'm not sure how that works with Medi-Cal, though.

He has offices in Glendale and in Delano. You can fill out the information form from the website and they will contact you.

https://www.dssurgery.com/contact.php?subnav=5 (Click on the "New Inquiries Only" tab)

Dr. K. is awesome, by the way!!

ETA: His website also doesn't say which insurance is accepted. You can either call them, or just fill out the information form.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

juliew
on 10/19/13 11:41 am - Stockton, CA

I know about how awesome Dr. K is! My mom had her revision (RNY to DS) though him in 2009. I hope he accepts Medi-Cal! I'd really like either him or Dr. Rabkin to be my surgeon because they seem to be the best in California and have a lot of surgery's under their belt. 

I may have to contact each surgeon through their website about which insurance they take, was just hoping to find a big list somewhere of who takes what. lol

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

A_Whole_New_Me
on 10/19/13 2:30 pm

Dr K definitely takes Medicare. I'm not sure about the Medi-Cal. The staff in his office are very patient and good at answering questions. I suggest you call the office and check with Christina.

Good luck,

Tricia

juliew
on 10/19/13 2:37 pm - Stockton, CA

Thanks Tricia! I will probably contact Dr. K's office after I'm officially on Medi-Cal, but am curious about it now (and I am impatient lol). Though I wonder if they (meaning the insurance) would try and get me to go to a closer DS surgeon. I am pretty sure there is one in the next town over who accepts Medi-Cal, but he has been doing the DS only a few years at most and since I've never had any kind of surgery except for having my wisdom teeth removed and have never had to spend the night in a hospital, I think I'd feel better going to someone with many, many years of experience. 

Wanting the DS! 

A_Whole_New_Me
on 10/19/13 3:11 pm

I am in the Bay Area and preparing to have a revision from VSG to DS early in the new year with Dr K.

My understanding is Dr K is the only one (or 1 of a very few) California based surgeons who takes Medicare. Dr K is one of the top surgeons in the world, I personally would not settle for less to have surgery closer to home.

Good luck to you.

Tricia

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views