Need Vets input-DS newbie, Where should I begin with vitamins? overwhelmed...

sunshine1968
on 11/16/13 1:15 pm

I will be having my DS surgery in a few weeks and would like to know your opinion on how to prepare for the vitamin taking process. There are so many different brands of vitamins and so many different opinions on what to take.. Do I just start with a multi, calcium, vit d and then after a month start taking VItalady or another brand. Any input on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated as I'm overwhelmed. I really want to try to get it right from the get go to avoid any deficiencies. I'm already starting with low D of 25-it was 18 but I just got it up to 25. Any input with regards to regiment and brands would be great. Also, do you recommend taking ADEK in separate pills or one pill with all? 

PattyL
on 11/16/13 1:34 pm

The easiest way to do this is to just order from Vitalady.  Done!  Then you have time to figure it all out.  Forget ADEKs the doses are too small for us.  You will have to take multiple pills.

I started taking all my vites 5 days postop.  Many can't do that and it's OK.  Something is better than nothing.  Always!  I would start with the multis and calcium then add the others with iron last.  That's the one that gives people the most problems.

You won't ever get this all right from the beginning.  It's a process.  You will be changing and tweaking things all the time.  Some people don't have any problems while others do.  No way to tell where you will fall yet.  Wait and see.  Some people take months to work up to taking all the vites.

sunshine1968
on 11/16/13 1:41 pm

Thank you for replying. Do you recommend I get her pre-packaged plans?  I see she also has a chewable plan. My docs office wants me to start out chewable-not sure why- so I guess I should begin there and then move to capsules...?  Any thoughts on this?

MajorMom
on 11/16/13 5:56 pm - VA

Chewable is kind of expensive and you don't need to be on them that long. And, that's a good thing. lol 

Here are the links to here chewable and DS plans. I've always bought the individual bottles and sorted for myself. It's cheaper and I can adjust what and how much I'm taking.

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf
http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramChewable2- 2010.pdf

When you first start, start really really slow. Maybe a couple of multivitamins a day, calcium and dry D3. See how you do and add something like vitamin A or K1 and see how you do. Everyone is different so just take what you can handle and don't sweat it.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 11/17/13 3:46 pm

I would buy the individual bottles to start.  Plus a pill organizer or two.

Chewables...  Well they don't make much sense and beware, anything gummy you are thinking about is probably loaded with sugar.  If they want you to do chewables for a couple weeks, just buy multis, calcuim and D.  Then switch to regular pills/capsules.  Don't buy more than you have to because they probably taste pretty bad.

While you are recovering from surgery go through what VL sent you and make a list of what you are taking and how much.  Then start shopping for alternatives and price checking.  By the time you need to buy more, you will be much better informed.  This gives you a starting point.  Then when you have labs done, expect a few things to change.

airbender
on 11/16/13 8:44 pm

this is probably the most diffifcult part of the post DS....vit/min taking/sorting.  Start out slow, space them thoughout the day.  concentrate on getting your vit d up before surgery, it is still really low and that is one vit that we have a problem absorbing since it it fat soluble.  so work on your vit d, ca, multi for the first week, then start adding others as to not be overwhelming.  you may be anemic too, should check that before surgery also.  I would not get the vitalady prepackage vitamins, taking them all from day one, would be too much for me, but you have to do what is best for you.  you will not be able to take ADEK in one pill, it may be a way to start out but you will have to adjust by how your body is responding to the ds and you may be deficient in one and not another.  don't worry we all go through this....i started taking ca, vit d, multi, iron before surgery and I thought it was a lot...LOL, boy how we adjust...now it is nothing.....you will be ok....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 156 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 695 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views